Tamiya Bimota--->Tiger

- I wanted to share one of my in-progress projects with THE model Dudes here. This is the Tamiya 12th scale Bimota. Every one of these kits that I have seen built were always painted stock or a variation of Italian colors. They were all cool lookin, but I figured I'd try something different. Not just tiger stripes, but one of those tiger stripes breaking out of its stock skin kind of paint schemes. I also wanted to try a creative masking technic (simply Tamiya tape on a mirror, sketched, and cut). To add to that, I was trying to build this in 1 week. (That part didn't work, though):

- The body work was glued (with CA), sanded, and primed Mon afternoon.

- Lightly sanded again and rattle can painted with Tamiya Pearl White (I love the metallic like shean of this color) Monday evening.

- Masked and airbrushed orange/brown and the torn pieces shadowed Tuesday early evening.

- Hand painted the black strips Tuesday late evening.

- Outlined the torn pieces with a fine sharpie and then everything Future gloss coated Wednesday evening.

- As I put it aside to dry, I got distracted by other model projects. I am hoping to get this finished within the next few weeks and will post more pics as that happens.

I hope you all enjoy this.

PB240035.jpg

PB240038.jpg

PB240039.jpg

PB240042.jpg

PB240043.jpg

Model on, Brothers of the Sprue.

Edited by Weedeater

Creative Kudos!! !! !!

Try as I may, I dont have a working imagination to pull off such a scheme and to paint the body first... no way. Impressive. Keep it coming.

Edited by JayMesawitz

Creative Kudos!! !! !!

Try as I may, I dont have a working imagination to pull off such a scheme and to paint the body first... no way. Impressive. Keep it coming.

Jay,

- In the past 20 years, I have painted four life-sized motorcycles with Full Tiger stripes, all 4 with different base colors (Yellow, gray, red, and an orangish-yellow). And I would truly love to take full credit for this creative adventure, but much of its layout is formed around many of the "Tigermeet" jet aircraft and their truly creative paint schemes. Mine is a variation of this:

TornadoTigermeet.jpg

- In fact, the first real bike that I painted with Tiger stripes was patterned after a Canadian F-104 Tigermeet bird. So, one might say that I have "copied" someone else's creativity and if you ever had an interest to paint something like this, I would encourage you to give copying a shot. Once you're comfortable with those results, then move on to changing a color, or painting a "variation", or whatever. Next thing you know......you'll be the creative one. And I hope to be lucky enough to see your work here too. Model on, Brother of the Sprue. :smiley20:

Fellow Model Duuuuudes,

- Thanks for all of the supportive comments and encouragement. I really appreciate it and my hopes are to not let you down by posting either in-progress shots or the finished results. I'm not very good about grabbin the digi camera when I'm in full tilt build mode but we'll see how it goes. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue. :smiley20: