Has The M274 "mechanical Mule" Ever Been Kitted?

Fred Horky

Here's hoping that Armor in the right forum for this subject. It's not "armored" in the convnetional sense and in fact is as thin skinned (like NO skin) a military vehicle as you'd ever find.

A friend just sent an email with a link describing a project funded by DARPA (the DOD's advanced research people) to build a four-legged mechanical pack animal. It's being built by a bunch of eggheads in Boston and is INCREDIBLY complex. In fact, you'll just have to see it to believe it. :smiley23:

http://www.bostondynamics.com/content/sec.php?section=BigDog

The whole thing reminded me of the last Mechanical Army Mule of which I'm aware: the "M274 Truck, Platform, Utility, 1/2 ton, 4X4" that everybody called "the mule". Also an amazing device, especially since it was introduced over a half-century ago!

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Military_M274_Truck,_Platform,_Utility_1/2_Ton,_4X4

Back in my USAF airlift days, I'd hauled enough of them around in my airplane to develop an interest.

Anyway, it got me to wondering; has anybody ever issued a kit of that little "truck"? It was one of the few military vehicles that (dare I say it?) could be described as "cute"!

Fred Horky

IPMS# 6390

P.S. If the thing IS in kit form, pleaes forgive my question, but I'm an airplane guy and don't keep up with the armor/military vehicle kits. :smiley14:

Glencoe Models also made one in 35th scale. If you have a Hobbytown USA near you, check that out as they seem to carry alot of the Glencoe kits and I always see a Mechanical Mule on the clearence table when I'm in there. I think that I have also seen the Dragon version as well.

If you really want to ++++ off the signifcant other, you could buy the real thing - there's an M274 on ebay now for about 3800 bucks....

Guest Pyrman

The Glencoe kit (5401) is 1/15 scale. There is one seller in Richmond, IN that has seven of them, priced @ $10.99 each plus shipping/tax/title/registration/factory prep/etc. ;) The DML kits run about $10-15USD.

Glencoe's kit is actually a repop of the old ITC/Ringo kit. It originally came with colorful parachutes so it could be hung from the ceiling looking like it was being airdropped. They did the same thing with their 1/24 scale T92 US Airborne tank and 1/24 scale M113 kit.

Dragon's kit comes in two flavors, one with the recoilless rifle and one without the recoilless rifle. Eduard makes a PE set for it that even adds a wristwatch for the crewmen and dogtags.

The Glencoe kit (5401) is 1/15 scale. There is one seller in Richmond, IN that has seven of them, priced @ $10.99 each plus shipping/tax/title/registration/factory prep/etc. ;) The DML kits run about $10-15USD.

Ahh, my bad - I've looked at it a thousand times and never noticed it wasn't 35th.

Thanks to everybody for your comments and information, on both the miniatures in kit form and the the 1:1 scale M274 for sale on Ebay. The latter is tempting, but since I already have three cars in a two car garage (one bay having two Corvettes stacked on and under a four-post lift) I doubt my wife would look favorably on adding the little M274, however "cute"!

Thanks again...

Fred Horky

IPMS# 6390

Fred,

There is actually two Dragon versions made. Kit number 3315 and 3317. Both are currently listed for sale on EBAY.

Mark

Archived