Steeds of the Aces

cgutzmer

I just finished Bob Stanford Tuck's Spit Mk Vb a couple days ago. It's Tamiya's kit I'm planning to build a collection of the most famous BoB fighter leaders which will be Tuck's Spit, Galland's 109, Molders 109, and I haven't decided which for Bader but I'm planning either a Spit Mk I or Hurricane MkI.SpitfireVb247.jpgSpitfireVb248.jpgSpitfireVb249.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice classic build Bob! Tuck's Spitfire may be one of the epotomes of the term Ace, and you've captured that very well with your build! I'm guessing this was an OOTB build? Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Nice classic build Bob! Tuck's Spitfire may be one of the epotomes of the term Ace, and you've captured that very well with your build! I'm guessing this was an OOTB build? Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

mostly, added gauge faces to the instrument panel and added P/E seat belts, should be in the members gallery next month. Thanks

Edited by Bob Dedmon

• 2 weeks later...
Peter, Not sure if you are familiar with the phrase, "Peter, you sick bitch!"

Now I am :lol: thanks!

Twenty one parts later and I have basic form of the fuselage. I'm not entirely happy with it though. If I ever build an airplane model again, I'll use the under the skin layer support which is basically the same as the joining strips, but as wide as the skin panels themselves.

Admittedly, I don't have any former's edges visible like a starving cow's ribs, but I got couple of minor dents which could have been eliminated by applying this under body support thing. Well, first airplane model, go figure.

The next step will be to equip the fuselage with its details. Including some panel frames which are in the overlay to these basic fuselage skin panels.

IMG_3573-0-s.JPG

IMG_3561-0-s.JPG

IMG_3580-0-s.JPG IMG_3582-0-s.JPG IMG_3562-0-s.JPG IMG_3570-0-s.JPG IMG_3571-0-s.JPG

Edited by Rutek63

• 3 months later...

The vertical and the horizontal stabilizers. The elevator and the ruder. That is all I've made since my last visit here. It is a painfully slow build. I can't blame the model for it though. The problem is not having enough time. And not only for the model build but for the hobby in general - reading, research, forum etc.

Let's see the progress.

All the individual skins of the tail parts, but the bottom part of the ruder, I glued together with O - glue in to the form of the empty inside shell. Once I was satisfied with the shape I gave it formers.

I reinforced the formers with pieces of cardboard to create solid base under the skin for my later work with sheet connections.

All the printed lines in the places when they do not belong I sanded down heretofore covering the area with Super Glue. And later on off course I painted these places to match the print color.

You can see the whole process on the example of the horizontal stabilizer.

IMG_6824-0-s.JPG IMG_6861-0-s.JPG IMG_6872-0-s.JPG

IMG_6812-0-s.JPG IMG_6884-1-s.JPG IMG_6890-0-s.JPG IMG_6938-0-s.JPG IMG_6941-0-s.JPG

IMG_6944-0-s.JPG IMG_6947-0-s.JPG IMG_6948-0-s.JPG IMG_6951-0-s.JPG

IMG_6952-0-s.JPG IMG_6954-0-s.JPG IMG_6955-0-s.JPG

Regards!

Peter

• 1 year later...

Some of you actually complete your builds. Then there are people like me who just plod along making insignificant progress over vast periods of time. Here's my Heller 1/72 F-86F wih the Buffing Aluminum Plate Metalizer applied. Notice that the black areas I previously painted on the wing spar panels does produce a slight change in the reflectivity of the buffed Metalizer. Sealer and decals are next.

F-86F7-1.jpg

F-86F8-1.jpg

Ed