Steeds of the Aces

cgutzmer

Peter - question for you, I know how painful it is to hide the canopy - have you ever considered making a section of the fuselage over the cockpit be liftoff so it could be viewed? :)

Chris

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter - question for you, I know how painful it is to hide the canopy - have you ever considered making a section of the fuselage over the cockpit be liftoff so it could be viewed? :)

Chris

Chris,

Not on this model, but yes, definitely. I like this kind of thing. The perfect example of how I would like to do this in the future is the work of my friend Andrzej Ziober.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Ziober.htm

The members of IPMS/USA may remember his 1: 72 Lancaster from last IPMS Convention in Ohio. He opens hatches, access panels etc.. to show what is inside of the airplane.

In my P 11 I'm considering opening only one machine gun access panel. The cockpit will be partially visible since there is no full canopy over it.

Why hang up the xacto? I am nowhere near his level either but maybe one day! :)

Chris

Why hang up the xacto? I am nowhere near his level either but maybe one day! :)

Chris

Only because I don't foresee ever reaching that level. All I can do right now is overwhelm with quantity! LOL!

Don't worry, I'll keep building....

Got the Spitfire done! It's the old Revell MkII, OOTB except for rescribing. Kit decals (sucky half-tone printed things too!) depicting Douglas Bader's mount.

100_2772.jpg

100_2775.jpg

100_2778.jpg

Comments, questions, and critiques welcome! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

• 4 weeks later...

Remarkable work GIL!

It is amazing haw fast you guys can build a plastic model.

I'm in the other hand, still on the beginning.

According to the model instruction the next two parts that I should be making are the machine gun barrels and the cockpit skin assemble. Yet, I have decided to make a little leap into the front of the fuselage and pick up on the center part of the engine assemble and the "cup" that covers it. ( I'm not sure how you call that part of the engine in English). What you see in the pictures below is only the dry fitting assembly.

IMG_2480-0.JPG

IMG_2478-0.JPG

The center part of the engine was very simple thing to do:

IMG_2509-0-s.JPG IMG_2508-0-s.JPG

As you can se in the first picture below, the cup that covers the center engine part is designed as a set of fore conical rings. However that part of the original airplane is put together with a number of the panels not rings, fastened to the frame around the engine. To get the proper external appearance of that cup I have decided to seal the gaps between the rings with the mid-density SG and paint the joints with matched olive color.

IMG_2514-0-s.JPG

IMG_2483-0-s.JPG IMG_2481-0-s.JPG IMG_2487-00-s.JPG IMG_2488-0-s.JPG IMG_2501-0-s.JPG IMG_2493-0-s.JPG

I have also opened printed cooling vents:

IMG_2518-0-s.JPG IMG_2487-0-s.JPG

Unfortunately,building that engine cup I made a mistake sealing and painting over the seams that represent the panel connection lines between the front and the rear of the cup. Fixing it by cutting it open in the spot sealed with CA glue didn't work. I had to build it all over again.

Here is the step by step:

-Cutting the parts precisely on the line.

-Sanding off the unwanted outlines of the parts.

-Accurate as possible gluing the rings of the cup together.

P1020156-0-s.JPG

-Applying the ND into the seams to seal them the same way as the rest of the card is

-Applying the layer of the gloss acrylic finish to the whole surface of the part.

-Applying the layer of the matte acrylic finish to the whole surface of the part.

-Painting the seams with a thin layer of the match color to expose imperfections of glued seams.

P1020164-0-s.JPG P1020163-0-s.JPG

-Filling up the gaps with mid density CA glue.

-Alignment of the surface with second layer of the CA glue, only applied widely this time.

-Scrapping the excess of the CA glue with the hobby knife.

-Applying another layer of the matte acrylic finish.

-Applying the second layer of the paint over the seams only wider to equalize the painted lines with the print.

-Diversifying the painted spots with other colors to match the model art design.

-Redrawing the lines of the panels over the paint.

-Applying the final layer of the Matte finish.

P1020186-0-s.JPG P1020178-0-s.JPG P1020182-0-s.JPG P1020179-0-s.JPG P1020180-0-s.JPG P1020176-0-s.JPG

Regards!

Peter

Wow, that 'paper' airplane is coming along nicely. Thanks for the blow-by-blow account of how you've assembled the difficult assemblies.

I know I'm part of this Group Build, so I think it's time I showed my progress. I'm building the F-86F "MiG Mad Marine" alongside a Japanese Self Defense Force F-86, so these pics will include both aircraft. After all, they are almost the same kit so I figured why not build them both?

Here are the two cockpit/air intake assemblies I did. This was before I added the cockpit decals:

WIP%20SabreJets%20I.jpg

My apologies for the blurriness. I took this at St. Crispin's Hobby Day and had left my tripod at home.

Here are the two Sabres assembled for the most part. Now to sand them down a bit, fill some seams and add more detail parts. The one to the right is "MiG Mad Marine":

WIP%20SabreJets%20II.jpg

Okay, thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

The Sabre was the first real jet I saw up close and personal. Followed by the 102, 106 and then the 104. Loved that my Dad was in the FIS!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from long vacation to france :) glad to see this is still going along well! Hope to get back to building soon :)

Chris

It's been some time, but I am making progress on the ancient 1/72 Heller North American F-86F flown my Maj. James P. Hagerstrom. Lots of warped pieces to straighten. I'm converting the as-molded F-86E wing with leading edge slats to the F-86F wing with no slats and a flow fence on each wing instead. I filled the slats' engraved outlines with Mr. Surfacer 1200 from the jar and sanded smooth when dry. In the following photos, I've masked off the majority of the skin to paint the wing box and horizontal stabilizer centers semi-gloss black. This will be the undercoat for the overall Testors spray can Aluminum Plate (buffing) Metallizer that the whole airframe will receive (as shown in the third and fourth pictures). The black under the metallizer will provide a subtle change of hue to the aluminum. Then I will use metallizer sealer before starting on the decals.

Top shot with blue 3M painter's tape and yellow Tamiya masking tape with the black paint applied.

F-86F3.jpg

Underside masked and painted.

F-86F4.jpg

Topside with masking tape removed.

F-86F5.jpg

Underside with masking tape removed. The nose piece will be insignia red except for the small black radome.

F-86F6.jpg

Ed

Seeing all this tape and the preparation to paint you guys do is making me kinda happy. I'm glad that I don't have to do that ;). Good job though.

Finally I was able to close the cockpit and apply first two pieces of the of the fuselage skin. Unfortunately, not without an accident. A little bit of the fresh black paint from my mixing palette got on my palm and by the accident I transfered it onto the fuselage skin in the front of the cockpit. I didn't have any other choice but to tear that part of the fuselage off the formers and apply the new one.

IMG_3061-0.JPG

IMG_3058-0.JPG

I decided to switch from the standard kit formers to the laser cut ones. It saves me time that I can spend to build some scratch-build details. For example machine gun's shrouds. I hope that the pictures below explains the shroud's building process. I used very thin paper, 0.7 mm drill bit to give it the right shape, and O' glue for glueing and to keep the shape. I painted the flat part black before wrapping it around the drill. And in the end I used silver color pencil to break down that intensive black color.

IMG_2460-0-s.JPG IMG_2420-0-s.JPG IMG_2795-0-s.JPG

It took me some time to align the machine guns, barrel's compartments and blast tubs in one line. To do it right I had to removed the machine guns off the cockpit, shave their bases and then put new guns in place.

IMG_2798-0-s.JPG IMG_3071-0-s.JPG IMG_3066-0-s.JPG

As you can see in the picture below I decided to leave gun maintenance access hatch open and also on the port side I left openings for scratch build pilots step and the flare launch port.

IMG_3062-1-s.JPG IMG_3059-0-s.JPG

Regards!

Peter

Peter, Not sure if you are familiar with the phrase, "Peter, you sick bitch!" It is meant to be a multiple reference between friends, brothers, comrades, from one to the other of envy, amazement, humor and approval while still maintaining a "manly" posture without showing too much signs of weakness. It also conveys a sense of wonder at how you achieve such superb results where most craftsman would have gone crazy and given up, especially in such an unusual medium, paper! In this case, this is how I am applying the phrase. Your work is incredible and magnificent and I appreciate you posting your progress, "You sick Bitch, you." :smiley20:

Edited by Weedeater