Steeds of the Aces

cgutzmer

I suppose I might as well jump in here and see what I can do! This group build will be about any aircraft flown by any ACE in any conflict. The livery must represent an actual livery of the plane flown by that specific pilot. I will keep this first thread updated with entrants.

Dogfight - ON!

Thanks

Chris

Dick Montgomery Mandfred von Richtofen (Red Baron) 1/48 Dr-1

DavidF Lt. Quince Brown's P-47D 'Okie'

Cgutzmer John C Meyer's P-51B Lambie

Rutek63 Stanisław Skalski PZL P.11c of 142 squad

ewahl Korean War Ace Maj. James P. Hagerstrom 1/72 Heller North American F-86F Sabre

ghodges Bader's 1/48 MkII Spit

Edited by cgutzmer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nope! No time limit! I will let this run its course. It will be obvious when its ready to have a fork stuck in it (its done) :)

Chris

I'll do it. A 1/48 Dr-1 in the classic color of the Red Baron.

I'll do it. A 1/48 Dr-1 in the classic color of the Red Baron.

sounds great! First entry :) I think they are all classic by Manfred von Richtofen :)

Chris

Got an aircraft but no idea about an ace to go with it? I have an extensive livery library and can probably find one for you :) Feel free to post up your plane and I can likely find you an ace livery of some sort!

Thanks

Chris

I do have one I've been wanting to do for ages, Lt. Quince Brown's P-47D 'Okie'. I have the kit, Tamiya's P-47D Razorback, I just need to round up the decals. I have a partial set (Superscale 48-879) someone was kind enough to give me, but would like to find a full set. Since there's no time limit sign me up! :smiley20:

Quince_Brown_and_Dog_Page_1-747x577.jpg

Edited by DavidF

Sounds like a great one!

I too am joining the fray - its my group build after all, it just took me a while to decide.

I will be building John C Meyer's P-51B Lambie. This will be a 1:33 scale build. I will be trying a first for me and using red river silver metallic paper for this build.

Chris

post-1322-1273692027_thumb.jpg

Edited by cgutzmer

I'm joining you with a build that I have already started. But I'm not that far.

The airplane PZL P.11c of 142 squad, which I'm building the model of, was flown by Polish Ace Stanisław Skalski at the very beginning of WWII . The kit was designed in the popular 1:33 paper model scale, and published by Andrzej Haliński Publishing in 2005.

Peter

IMG_8760-0.JPG

Sweet! Got ya on the list Peter and looking forward to your sumission mark!

Thanks

Chris

I've never been interested before in a group build with a theme like this, so I'm in with the 1/72 Heller North American F-86F Sabre in the markings of Korean War Ace Maj. James P. Hagerstrom (score: 6.5). I have his markings from an old Microscale sheet.

Ed Wahl

ok - you are in! even though you said you have never been interested ;) heh heh

No photo update cause you cant tell I did anything but all my pages are scored and ready to cut out :)

Quick update is I plan on adding an ultra detailed engine to one of the builds - most likely the one in metallic paper. The parts count of the engine is only a couple parts short of the same count as the entire airplane :) it will be a detailed model all by itself!

Chris

The parts count of the engine is only a couple parts short of the same count as the entire airplane :) it will be a detailed model all by itself!

I already like that engine Chris! :)

Since I have already started my build, please allow me to start posting its progress. On the top of the basic rules of paper modeling I have my own preferences, One of them is covering the sheets with a thin layer of a Nitrate Dope. This protects both - the paper and the print from dirt, moisture and allows me to use cyanoacrylate glues without the fear of getting print discoloration. I'm building this model in about 95% in OOTB, starting with the cockpit.

in the first few pictures you see the instruction drawings and the parts of the floor and the cockpit's cage before I have cut them out of the sheet. And then you can see the hole thing assembled together with the edges colored in the right shade of gray.

IMG_3192-0-s.JPG IMG_3190-0-s.JPG IMG_3185-0-s.JPG IMG_3188-0-s.JPG

IMG_6289-0-s.JPG IMG_6313-0-s.JPG IMG_7187-0-s.JPG IMG_7241-0-s.JPG IMG_7252-0-s.JPG

Regards!

Peter

IMG_3865.jpg

I've just finished this one, so it doesn't really count, but I thought it might be OK to show it here. This is a paper model of Lt. Ralph Hofer's P-51b wearing invasion stripes. It's a kit designed by Marek and repainted by Dave Winfield as part of his "Aces of Ecardmodels" participation. This is a kit that was originally designed for 1:50 and enlarged (by Dave) to 1:33.

IMG_3866.jpg

The canopy proved to be a bit of a challenge. I form most of my canopies now just by heating plastic and pulling it over a form. This is a B&W copy of the paper canopy included with the kit. I filled it with polyclay and then baked it to create the form.

IMG_3868.jpg

Dave has also created a nice interior kit as a separate addition. I think it's nicely designed and really helps the model.

IMG_3869.jpg

This is not the easiest paper model to build. There are several fit issues in the original kit.

But it does build up to a decent paper model in the end and I really love the job Dave did on the recolorIMG_3902.jpg

IMG_3900.jpg

IMG_3899.jpg

IMG_3893.jpg

IMG_3894.jpg

This was a bit of a frustrating build, but enjoyable overall.

Chris

graet finish to the salem representative and looking good on the start there peter :)

Chris

The Mustang looks good, Chris!

The steering devices I have build using the styrene rod and rolled tight paper parts. Some of the card parts I have thinned to the half of its thickness to get right diameter of the tubes.

IMG_8697-0-s.JPG IMG_8693-0-s.JPG

First Former of the fuselage laminated to 1 mm cardboard, along with steering devices are in their place.

IMG_8722-0-s.JPG IMG_8705-0-s.JPG IMG_8715-0-s.JPG IMG_8728-0-s.JPG IMG_8737-0-s.JPG

IMG_8748-0-s.JPG IMG_8749-0-s.JPG IMG_8752-0-s.JPG

Peter

great details! thanks for the good pics :) they help a lot!

Boy, that's looking great, Peter. I wish my skills were up to your level!

I really like your idea of doping the paper, both for the protection and for allowing CA glues. Does the doping interfere at all with water-based glues ro do you just use CA's?

Chris

I built one of these kits in the 1980's and liked it. I had two and completed the first for a friend, so I decided to start the second one back then also. I soon quit after painting the cockpit and using a decal from a Microscale sheet on the instrument panel because the wings and fuselage pieces are warped...really warped...and I wasn't sure how to correct the warps. If you look at the photo below, I've taped the nose together trapping the cockpit and intake duct/nose wheel well assemblies in place. I let the twists and warps on the fuselage pieces speak for themselves in the photo. I was also missing a part--the headrest on the pilot's seat; so I scratchbuilt one and it looks good enough.

The kit has really delicate pieces for 1/72 scale. Trailing edges are very thin. I've corrected the wing warp already, making certain the leading and trailing edges are straight and no twists in the chord. Back then I used tube glue; today I'm using Pro Weld liquid cement.

The parts are all cleaned up from mold marks and parting lines, so assembly is now in process. I'm going to have to live with the Leading Edge System wing that is not correct for this particular F-86F (it had the later extended chord wing and flow fence) and with the incorrect fins on the wing tanks (not used until very late -F models and on all -H models after Korea). Panel lines are raised, with engraved lines for the LES and flaps on the wings.

Ed

F-86F1.jpg

I'm doing this OOB so far, but I'm still thinking about adding seat belts in the cockpit.

interesting! had no idea you could fix stufff like that. I would go for the seatbelts - they are great details that make a model stand out a bit more :)

Chris

Thank you for complementing my work, guys!

Yes, Chris, unfortunately doping interferes with water-based glues with one exception. The "Gator's Grip" is Acrylic glue that works fine on the ND-covered surfaces. Though, remember that I apply ND only to the obverse site of the card where the parts are printed. That way the reverse site of the card and the edges are still suitable for use with the water-base glues as well as  water itself, that helps with forming small tubes and irregular shapes.

In the pictures below, you can see the bottom of pilot's seat mount, the seat lift jack and two wing's machine guns reload levers added.

IMG_8827-0-s.JPG IMG_8831-0-s.JPG IMG_8835-0-s.JPG IMG_8837-0-s.JPG IMG_8846-0-s.JPG

IMG_8976-0-s.JPG IMG_8979-0-s.JPG IMG_8980-0-s.JPG

Ed, it's good to see first plastic model build in progress. I'm with Chris on the seat belts.

Peter

I am a fan of Gator Grip. I use it for anything dealing with clear parts and also for most p.e. applications. It never occurred to me (d'oh!) to use it for paper as well.