Nissan Skyline GTR34 D1 Grand Prix

Watching a fellow builder struggle with a kit and damage on another forum has inspired me to join him. I bought this from Japan and along the way, it endured several games of floor hockey it would seem. Cracked A and B pillars, and the pillar for the small side window. Cracked front fender that runs up to the A pillar, and the side's cracked from the back wheel well forward. I may shoot a how-to video with the decals on this one too.

DSC02139.jpg

DSC02140.jpg

Edited by MikeH

Why, oh why, do modelers choose to deliberately inflict the pain of repairing such kits upon themselves? Mike, you get the award for starting with the greatest step backward on a kit before taking the first step forward. I'll watch with interest.

Ed

Ouch, poor little kit. I once got a Tamiya kit of the R32 that looked just like that. I sent them the body and a few weeks later I got a replacement. Not sure if Aoshima does that, but Kudos to you for a mighty resurrection.

Chris

The adage about picking your fights comes to mind. I enjoy a good challenge but remember it is well documented that there are no bonus points rewarded for starting with the crapiest kit avialable.

I'll be here for every update none the less. Best of luck.

Here it is after last night. The body is together and I reinforced the back side of it with some .010 styrene. I also used some foil to assist the back side of the a=pillar. If I get time tonight, I'll start sanding it smooth and rescribing panel lines as needed.

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02142.jpg

Thanks guys. Here it is before and after spending an evening with a movie and some sand paper, files, and scriber. I had to rescribe the window molding on the windshield and a couple other spots on the rear door and b pillar. I hit it with Novus 3 and 2 tonight after sanding it all out, and held it up to bright light and nothing glared out at me. Tomorrow when I shoot it with primer I'll know more.

DSC02143.jpg

DSC02145.jpg

DSC02147.jpg

Amazing! I didnt know you could repair models like that :)

Chris

Great work. I never thought to attempt mine when it was like that. My biggest problem is the pillar areas are the hardest to fix. Again, Nice work. Look forward to your build.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I needed something to take my mind off of work, the water intrusion in my basement, and things in general. So I commenced to decal the front of the baby.

DSC02197.jpg

Body decals are done! They're not the greatest decals. Obviously the contingency decals are transparent on the front fender. They were also pretty ridgid.

DSC02204.jpg

DSC02205.jpg

All done! The kit isn't really great, and it's a shelf model for sure, but fixing the big problem was the point of the build and making it look like nothing happened.

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02229.jpg

DSC02228.jpg

DSC02227.jpg

DSC02226.jpg

Well Done Mike!

I have to say you're a better builder than I - If that were damaged and in my collection, I highly doubt it would have ever made it to the bench, let alone the display case!

Crack? What crack? There is a special sense of satisfaction to be derived from a "save" project like this. Well done!

I find it completely bizarre that the right side decals are reversed/mirrored...

Good finish to the challenge you put on yourself. How does the repair area look up close?

This is the A=pillar after paint. There's a slight curve where I had to rescribe the weather stripping. The body you can't tall other than the twist from the rear to front after I lined it up and stuck it.

DSC02170.jpg

You first posted this on May 10, so I assume that is when you started on this kit. 20 days start to finish is something I will never achieve on a car kit. Great job!

Ed