Hello IPMS!

cgutzmer

Well as it should be, my first post in the forums here is a big Hello! Looks like a nice place to visit and talk about modeling.

I am the contact point for a brand new SIG in IPMS called Fine Scale Paper Modelers. My hopes are to get more modelers from my segment of model building to join up and head to some shows! I look forward to meeting many of you and looking at some great models!

Thanks!

Chris

Welcome aboard Chris. As a paper modeler (buildings and spacecraft) I look forward to a stimulating "paper model" presence on the forum!

I am about 85% complete on a functioning paper grandfather clock. The parts were published in a book. Does this count for the SIG? I also have a paper model of the Space Needle in Seattle from their gift shop.

Ed

I would love to learn more about paper modeling. Have never really seen it in person. Did some searches when Dick posted the SIG info and seem to have fallen in love with the idea. Seems very economical, and some of the ships don't even look like paper. I would love to chat more about it and possibly joining up with the SIG. Ray

Ed,

I'll bet we have the same Space Needle model! I've got an attachment to Seattle and the Space Needle in particular, having been there as a much younger person in '63 during the World's Fair.

I've been waiting to build that model for a few years until time and circumstance would allow me to do a good job of it.

If I mess it up I've promised myself to go back and buy another!

Hi, Dick,

Here's a deal. Whichever of us builds the Space Needle first and somehow screws it up, he gets the unbuilt model from the other. Cost of postage only.

Ed

Thanks guys! anything paper related is great :) I am working on setting up a group build to introduce ourselves a bit better - just trying to settle on a topic :)

here is my suggestion for your builds of the needle, - build a few simple models first - even single sheet models will help you develop the skills to build something large and complex. The skill sets remain the same, its the patience factor that matters more in larger models. Of course finer details make a big difference too but thats what tweezers are for heh heh

If you are really nervous about it, scan it and do a quick prebuild of key difficult parts before you start carving up the actual kit.

Additional note - if you purchase ELECTRONIC versions of kits you can re-print whatever you mess up ;) been there done that. Just be VERY wary of pirate kits out there. If you join up to our site for discussions I am using the same username there.

Chris

yeah - thats a great model! Gotta be real careful with it when done :) you can try spraying the gears with acrylic sealer to toughen them up but many light coats is better (Like painting a model) than one heavy one to keep from warping anything :)

Chris

Hi, Chris,

The thin flat gear wheels are thicker than they appear. They are glued to matte board for stiffness per the instructions. Cutting the board was a challenge because of the shape and number of gear teeth. The big gear wheel is a buildup with a strap of paper for each gear tooth individually glued to the two wheel disks. There are a couple other buildup gears as well. What is amazing is that everything is aligned and turns as the rocker arm on top tilts back and forth. The clock has a pendulum and hanging weight to keep it in operation when on a wall. The pendulum can be adjusted to make the clock keep accurate time. The inside cover of the instruction book eventually will become the face of the clock.

Ed

yeah - I have seen it before - its really a brilliant card model :) It wears rather quickly though if left as stock is what I recall.

Chris