Middle East Wars

Mark Aldrich

There are a couple great places.....First and foremost.....

http://www.idf-in-scale.com/

Second...

http://www.mewsig.webs.com/

Third....

http://idfmodelling.free.fr/index.html

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling this one done. One of three Down!!! Gonna get back onto the Corsair next. Need a armor break.

100_1606.jpg

100_1603.jpg

100_1602.jpg

100_1599.jpg

100_1598.jpg

I need to figure out the red issue with the camera and flash! Gonna try the red eye control and see it that doesn't tone it down. They really don't look that red up close.

Mark, do you edit your photos before posting? I do. Maybe when you do, try adding a little more 'blue' to the photo and that should tone down the red.

Duke,

Never have. I can try that also. I know my editing software allows for editing. However, I need a better fix before the NATS as well. IF I take photos, I ain't gonna have time to do much editing.

Here is the work on the Corsair. The kit did not come with bombs and that was something I wanted to add. So I bought them from True Details (500 lbers) from Squadron as well as wheels and a Sky Raider pylons set. The wheels were gorgeous! The bombs themselves were nice but the fins were broken and useless. I started searching and found the Tamiya P-51D (Korea) came with 2 500 lbs. This picture shows the size difference between the two. I opted for the true details bombs and the Tamiya fins.

Bombcomparison.jpg

Because I opted for the True Details bombs, there were no attachments. I used these from the True Details Sky Raider set and they are not that great either. Lots of work to get them to fit into the Tamiya mounts. Being a TreadHead, I have no idea if this is accurate or not but the bombs touch the mounts so I am happy. I added styrene rod for the adapters.

Bombracks.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

This weekend brought accomplishment and setback. I used Polyscale acrylics and when I removed the tape masking.....it also removed lots of paint. Some of it is no biggie......others....very large issues.

Bomb ordinance

Bombs.jpg

Engine and wheels

EngineWheels.jpg

Camo job

Camo.jpg

Paint peel

Badpaint.jpg

Cowl.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Looking sharp Mark! I see you got the paint situation under control. That bird is coming along nicely!

BTW I never knew the Israelis flew these. I may have to get one to add to my Israeli Air Force.

DUKE,

They NEVER did. This is a hypothetical! I have always loved the Corsair and wondered what it would look like in late IAF Camo with the 105 SQD (Black and yellow). Don't go and buy a Corsair that never was!

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Current Progress.....Washed and dulled. Need to get the brake lines installed and combing blacked.

100_2050.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Nothing wrong with a What If build. Currently working on a Tuskegee Airmen P-80 circa 1946.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up about the Corsair. It does look good though. So far the only "what-if's" I ever built have been ships; so far only one, but I have plans for a second one.

Duke,

That's the neat thing about the MEW (Middle East Wars)!!! There is little photographic evidence of what the warring armies had and used. As more authors dig and interview participants (at least on the Israeli side) we find out stuff. The first tanks the IDF almost had in numbers were Stuarts, but the ability to ship them out of the USA fell through.

Mark

Thanks Clare! Duke, It would be US Army OD with operation Horev markings. I am trying to verify if they were M3 or M5s.

No picture update but I got the brake lines and rocket wires added last night. Gonna paint them this evening and the final obstacle will be the antenna! Should have it done this weekend to finish number two and work on the M1 can recommence!

Duke,

That would be my most plausible guess. Based on Dr. Manasherob, the deal to ship was right after the 48 war started. Assuming they actually shipped and arrived, they (some of them) probably would have been ready for operation Horev and therefore belonged to the 82nd Tank Battalion with the Southern Command three arrow markings, no black background ID numbers and maybe Star of David Aerial recognition circled on the rear engine deck.

Well,

It didn't happen like I expected. The main antenna line went on smooth as silk! The off shoot line is another story. Two failed attempts. Hoping to be able to get it attached this evening and call her done!!

Two down, one to go..........

15.jpg

The rest of the pictures can be found here.....

http://www.ipmsusa3....War+SIG/F4U-1D/

Edited by Mark Aldrich