Middle East Wars

Mark Aldrich

I will also head this one. Same rules.....pick your kit let me know and we'll go from there. Actually, I'll have three that I can hopefully post pictures of this Weekend.

Mark Aldrich - Tamiya F4U-1D - "What If" IAF

Dragon 76mm"Operation Cobra" - IDF M1 Sherman

Dragon 105mm Howitzer - IDF Dozer Tank

Dick Montgomery - Arii Scud Launcher

Mark

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are mine..... The Tamiya Corsair will be OOTB with the blue and sand camo and markings for 105 Squadron.

100_4297.jpg

These two tanks will become completely different vehicles when I am done. Basically, the Cobra will have HVSS added and the Turret from the AEF set added along with other minor modifications. The Howitzer will have VVSS and converted to M4A1 engine status plus have the Dozer blade attached.

100_4298.jpg

Edited by Mark Aldrich

These two tanks will become completely different vehicles when I am done. Basically, the Cobra will have HVSS added and the Turret from the AEF set added along with other minor modifications. The Howitzer will have VVSS and converted to M4A1 engine status plus have the Dozer blade attached.

Not trying to sound critical, but why not build each tank with the suspension that comes with the kits. You have a VVSS and HVSS kit in the box - Don't the upper hulls swap pretty easily between the lower hulls? I've seen it done by guys in the local AMPS chapter.

I'm so confused :smiley23: ?!?!

James,

Not a bad question. That is exactly what I am doing. The HVSS from the 105 is mated to the M4A1 Cast hull of the Cobra and vice versa. The issue is in making the 105mm Upper hull a M4A1 version. There are no M4/M4A1/M4A4 engine deck parts included in any of the Dragon Sherman kits that I am aware of. So far on the 105mm I have used a fromations rear deck, the butt end off the old Italeri kit and the Idler wheel mounts off the Dragon it. The Cobra upper Hull mated to the lower pretty well. The 105 was not quite so lucky. I will need some putty to mesh it up. Hope to have some shots done tonight. Just gotta pull them outta their boxes. The tank work was all done at our Friday build party.

Mark

Not a bad question. That is exactly what I am doing. .....

I had inferred the suspension changes were coming from the resin conversions. Nevermind....

[Emily Latela: what's the big fuss over Russian jewelry?]

This weeks progress.... Having issues with the Howitzer......Fenders and Corsair.....Bomb racks

mew.jpg

This is the kit I'm working on. I acquired it through an auction company at a very low price, and when I opened it I knew why it was so inexpensive. The missile parts were present, as were some of the launch platform parts but most of the vehicle was gone. Oh well...didn't cost but a couple of bucks.

AlHusseinSS1CARIIA68548th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

31 May update.....

dozer.jpg

dozer1.jpg

dozer2.jpg

Here is the Dozer tank. As can be seen by the photographs, there were numerous additions need to convert it from a M4A3 back to a M4A1 engined Sherman. The Velinden Dozer is not a good starting point for a dozer either. Parts were not poured true. I probably would have been better off making some of the parts from styrene.

m1.jpg

m1a.jpg

This is the M-1. Most of this has been a little more straight forward. I did have some issues with cutting the triangle add-ons to the front fenders. The only work to the corsair was to attach the rear flaps.

I'm really enjoying the progress on the armor....I'm trying to gear up to tackle a Sherman, but not yet. Anyway, looking good so far!

I'm making progress on the Scud...should have something in a week or so.

Thanks Dick,

There really isn't anything an OOTB Sherman. Especially if it's a Dragon one. THe only issues are tracks. Depending what type you have.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't get alot done the last two weeks. Thanks to RnJ and the NOPMS show, I now have the Resicast dozer and will hopefully have more progress done this week! The Verlinden one will unfortunately end up in the bone yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Duke,

Thanks. It will look better once I get it painted and the markings added. I am going to use some really LARGE white ones that should stand out well against the OD paint.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, you're an animal! I don't think I'd ever go that far! They look fantastic and will certainly add to the model! Can't wait to see how they look on the tracks.

Duke,

The thanks goes to Howie Belkin. He provided the masters. I can't believe that with all the HVSS Sherman tanks out there no one makes the six that are needed on the hull sides. Academy's Dozer Sherman is the only one that comes with them. I can't even find an aftermarket company that does it.

Mark

Maybe Howie can go into business then selling these; oir maybe forward them to an aftermarket company to sell. I'm just dreaming here....

This is looking good, can't wait to see more.

Duke,

That's an idea. May look into it. However, my resin skills are no where near good.

Mark

• 8 months later...

Here is my latest update. After finishing the Bronco YW-531C I jumped right back into this. The Dozer is receiving some retouching as the ResiCast blade had some MAJOR imperfections to the sides and support arms.

Dozer-1.jpg

The Resicast Dozer Support arms are warped or I messed up. Spent yesterday with weights and Mrs. TreadHeads blow dryer trying to fix them. We'll see tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

These projects look good so far. I built a Merkava Mk III a few years ago but it's nothing comapred to the projects I'm seeing here. I love building Israeli armor and aircraft. They are by far some of my favorite subjects. I need to find some good reference material for both armor and aircraft for that country.