Battle of Britain

Mark Aldrich

OK fellow model builders. This is the starting point for the BoB build group. I personally will do the rehashed Italeri/Tamiya Ground Maintenance set. Please join in with your build and keep us all informed of the progress with both written and photographic updates. So if you're in...PM or let me know and I'll add you to the list! Model ON!!!!

Mark Aldrich - Italeri/Tamiya Maintenance Set (Best I can do guys)

Dick Montgomery - Ju-87 Stuka

David Franks - 1/48 Tamiya Bf-109 E-3, finished as Galland's JG-26 mount.

Gil Hodges - Classic Airframes MkI "ragwing" Hurricane and Revell MkII Spitfire

William Dedig - JU88A-1,just a backdate of a 1/72nd AMTech JU-88, Me 109E-3 and a Spitfire MKI

Edited by Mark Aldrich

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, I have the old Airfix Refueling set that I can probably submit for this Build. I may have already built one of the trucks; but I can always add the other to this Build. Let me see if I can.

I want in! Let me check the stash when I get home and see what I got. I know I have several kits that will qualify, just depends on which one strikes my fancy.

Hmmm........I'll have to ponder this. I was looking for an EASY build while working on my A-20G. And, I DO need to replace a couple of Bf-109E's that got pancaked in my "shelving accident" last year. I also have an older Revell MkII Spit that would be an easy OOTB qualifyer. Another I have is the CA MkI Huricane and the BP Defiant. I think I'll poke around the stash a bit....Is there a time limit for the BoB build?

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Wondering out loud here....how about an end date of Aug for the BoB and Mid East builds? And those who are attending Phoenix can bring their model(s) for display.

As of right now, I do not think so. I just got three more review kits that might qaulify as well.

No worries mate. Are you thinking post-August then? Whatever floats the collective boat works for me.

First Group build. Running kinda blind. What do you guys think is fair. Shall we say August 31 and we close the thread? Open to suggestions here.

First Group build. Running kinda blind. What do you guys think is fair. Shall we say August 31 and we close the thread? Open to suggestions here.

Sounds fine to me. Sent you a PM Mark about changing my kit from the Tamiya 1:48 Bf109E to the Eduard 1:32 Bf109E-4.

Ohhhh. The Eduard kit! I'm looking forward to seeing that! Please be sure to include "in progress" shots!

Ohhhh. The Eduard kit! I'm looking forward to seeing that! Please be sure to include "in progress" shots!

Will do :smiley20: Just hope I do it justice!

I hate to say this, but after taking another look at Eduard's 1/32 Bf109 I'm afraid I wouldn't do it justice at this point. My skills just aren't to the point where I would want them to be for this kit, so I'm putting it back in the stash for later.

Mark - I pulled a Tamiya 1:48 Bf109 E-3 out of the stash for this build. I'll use Galland's JG26 August 1940 scheme. Sorry for all the changes.

I've got two 1/48 qualifiers in the works:

100_2679.jpg

The main entry is the Classic Airframes MkI "ragwing" Hurricane. The second entry, which will also qualify for the "Ace's Steeds" build is the Revell MkII Spitfire, which will be done in Douglas Bader's markings. Building both primarily OOTB, though I am doing a quick and dirty rescribe job on the old Revell Spit! By the way, that's Floquil Soviet Gray-Green for the British interior color. More pics in a few days when the interior painting is done!

Edited by ghodges

More progress on the CA 1/48 MkI Hurricane.....

100_2683.jpg

She's together and I've added some Mr. Surfacer to the seams (ALL of them!). Should make some rapid progress over the next week or so. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

No pics as both this Hurricane and the MkI Spit I'm building for the "Steeds" build are now primed in overall Floquil SP Lettering Gray. Dull, boring, not worth a picture.....BUT it's the result of about 3hrs of filling and sanding on each of the kits! The CA MkI Hurricane and the old Revell MkI spit aren't known for their fit! should be able to make some faster progress now....Cheers!

Gil,

Keep it up. I didn't add any of the pics of the maintenance set because all I have done to them was base paint in black, OD, or brown. Hopefully by this weekend, I will have added a little more color.

Mark

Greetings all

I would love to join in on this

I have started a JU88A-1,just a backdate of a 1/72nd AMTech JU-88.

I have plans for a 109E-3 and a Spitfire MKI

I'll post some photos of JU-88 later

Thanks Bill

Have made some progress on the Hurricane...

100_2728.jpg

The wing lights are done. I simply painted the resin lights silver and then added a drop of 5min epoxy for the lenses. I still need to paint the light housings and add the covers before resuming painting. I also decided to add clear wingtip lights. I used pieces of clear colored toothbrush handles, cut to fit the notches in the wingtips and then sanded and polished to shape. I'd also already painted the Sky undersides, and so I'll have to repair those painted areas after adding the wing light covers. Then I'll be ready for the top camo colors. Cheers!

Watching the D Day marathon and working on the Ju-87 today.

Greetings

a Few WIP shots of the Ju 88A1

P1080583.jpg

P1080585.jpg

Finally

P1080630.jpg

Top is complete and Future has been added and Drying. More photos later

Cheers

Edited by wdedig