Testing Flats

In completing a recent project, I posted a question about what people use to achieve a dead flat. Previous thread is here. Well, for some reason, I got a bug to run a test to see what product out there would give me the best flat finish and would be durable. I've taken a sheet of plastic, painted it with Model Master RAF Dark Green (I had some lying around) and then gloss coated it with Future. Now I have started sectioning it off and applying different product's flat coats to see which flat IMHO works best. I'll let you know what I find. I'd post photos, but it is pretty hard to capture the "flattness" in photos.

Right now I have the following products to test. Let me know if you think I've left an important one out

Floquil Railroad colors Flat Coat

PollyS (new formula) Flat Coat

Lifecolor Flat Coat

Tamiya Flat Base + Future

Humbrol Flat Coat

Testors Flat Coat

Model Master Acrylic Flat Coat.

How 'bout trying one of the easily available flats at a home improvement or hardware store just for the sake of science and maybe those that don't have a hobby store nearby?

This might make a good little article for the Journal. Since photos may not convey the "flatocity"/"flatiousness" of the finish, why not take the test sheet to a model club meeting and have the members rate the finishes?

I'm great at finding work for others.

How 'bout trying one of the easily available flats at a home improvement or hardware store just for the sake of science and maybe those that don't have a hobby store nearby?

This might make a good little article for the Journal. Since photos may not convey the "flatocity"/"flatiousness" of the finish, why not take the test sheet to a model club meeting and have the members rate the finishes?

Didn't know there were flats available at home improvement stores. I'll have to look and pick one up. I have to go by tonight, so your timing is excellent.

The old Pactra clear flat was the best way back when......Now I fnd Testors Dullcoat is generally the flatest stuff I can get. I'll be watching this with interest!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

I suspect you may be right, I just don't like what Testors does to some colors are far as its golden tint.

Ron,

I looked at Home Depot and couldn't find anything, at least in the paint dept.

David,

Are you trying rattle cans or bottles? sometimes that makes a BIG Difference in the finished product.

Mark

David,

Are you trying rattle cans or bottles? sometimes that makes a BIG Difference in the finished product.

Mark

All airbrushed. THe only thing I ever use out of the can is Mr. Surfacer 1200.

I use Dull Coat in the rattle can and never have had a problem. I've sprayed it over both oil base paint and acrylics. I just make sure to put on a couple of light coats and let them dry before I spray a heavier coat.

- My absolute favorite was "Advanced Products - Full Matte". But they went outta business well over 20 years ago (I assume they went outta business, because I haven't seen their product in any LHS across the Nation in that time). It was applied with an airbrush and was the "flattest" finish I ever found. IMHO it was flatter than Testor's bottle (airbrushed) Dullcote. Since its disappearance, I have always preferred the Dullcote. I have tried thinning it with Lacquer thinner, Model Master thinner, Ispopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, and Denatured alcohol. The latter two are a little too hinkey to use, but the lacquer seems to work the best for my efforts. Even over acrylic paints AND "Future" coats.

- I'm very interested to read (and hopefully see some samples, if possible) your results David. Thanks for posting your experiment here. :smiley20:

Ditto,

I get such different responses with the combinations I have been using lately. Anything over Future seems to not get as flat as it used to. I use the rattle cans/bottle(airbrush) dullcote 50/50. It all depends if I feel like pulling the airbrush out.

Mark

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (ghodges @ Apr 30 2010, 07:26 PM)

The old Pactra clear flat was the best way back when......Now I fnd Testors Dullcoat is generally the flatest stuff I can get. I'll be watching this with interest!

GIL smiley16.gif

Gil,

I suspect you may be right, I just don't like what Testors does to some colors are far as its golden tint.

That golden tint is simply yellowing, and is especially noticable on white areas.