Model kits that bring a smile to your face

adfogel

Just curious what everyone's "fail-safe" kit(s) may be. You know the kind...you just smile whenever you see one on the shelf, at a show or pull it from your stash. :smiley14: Here's my aircraft list.

Any 1/72 Penguin/Air Lines/FROG/Novo kit...just something about them makes me feel like a little kid again and I love the box art.

Monogram's 1/48 B-29...built this as a kid and just thought it was sooooo cool. And I dig the lines of the B-29.

Fujimi's 1/48 Bf 109G and K series...yeah, I'm one of the oddballs that prefers this series over the newer Hasegawa series. I like the challenge and the spares are terrific for my other '109s. Still working on having at least one of each boxing.

Any Trimaster 1/48 Fw 190 kit...I especially like the A-8/R11. It just sums up to me the Trimaster experience. Demainding, challenging and wholly rewarding when done.

Monogram 1/48 P-38J...open it up and take a long walk back to your childhood. Remember the sheer thrill of seeing all of those extra parts and how many different versions you could make? I do every time I see this kit or build it.

Hasegawa 1/48 Bf 109E series...what a classic. It falls together, looks the part and is just a nifty little kit.

Revell 1/32 P-40E...I'm from Alaska and I just got suckered in by the Aleutian markings. Anad it's a P-40. 'nuff said.

Monogram 1/72 and 1/48 P-51B...another classic that just feels and looks right.

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.V...it's a Spitfire...it's an Airfix kit...how much more "right" could it be?

Tamiya 1/48 A6M Zero series...terrific detail and a nice, comfortable kit to build regarless of the version. Actually the entire early line of 1/48 Japanese fighters by Tamiya really fits into this.

Monogram B-25 series...loads of detail, big but not "too big" and enough different nose and armament setups to please anyone.

So, what's on your list?

Lee

Edited by adfogel

Dragon's M-50, M-51, Premium Edition M-5, and Tamiya's M-48A3.

Edited by Mark Aldrich

In my own display case, it would have to be "the last thing I finished" just because up until quite recently I wasn't getting much done.

I'm partial to the Japanese subjects now, and they are always a treat to see a good job done on one at a show.

Any Adversary scheme on a Hornet.

The old Mack Tanker Truck is also a favorite from my childhood (still working on one as an adult!)

Wow, that really comes down to pretty much everything in my stash! I've been going through it quite a bit lately, and I'd have to say the kits that bring the biggest smiles these days are the British aircraft from WWII and just after, and the Shermans in it's many guises.

I was just perusing stuff like the Tempest II, Sea Fury, Hornet and Brigand as well as the Dragon M4 DV, the Tasca Firefly Mk I C, the Dragon Sherman MK II...............

So many kits :smiley31: ....so little time! :smiley19:

Mike Moore

I'm a sucker for mixed media kits especially those French in origin such as FM models and Hi Pro. I love to open the box and see plastic, resin, white metal, PE and vacuform. Ok, a little of the joy is robbed when you actually build them! I've never gotten the kind of satisfaction I get when I finish one of those kit as I do with others. The FM models CM170 Magister in 1/48 scale makes me smile.

Edited by Dreamsof51

For me, this would be any of the new Wingnut Models WWI biplanes.

Darn....forgot to mention those. But I do (GASP :o ) agree with you Dennis. They are stunning works just as parts in the boxes!

Mike

Darn....forgot to mention those. But I do (GASP :o ) agree with you Dennis. They are stunning works just as parts in the boxes!

Mike

Yes, so good that I'm afraid to start the Se.5a Hisso I've got in my stash! I'm not worthy!!!!

Tamiya's M113 kit. I like to build it; it's easy to assemble and looks like the standard Papa Chuck it's supposed to be.

Edit: I forgot to add the 1/72 scale Fine Molds Tie Fighter. One of the first non-MPC Star Wars vehicles I built, it took sci-fi modeling to a whole 'nother level for me.

Edited by RGronovius

Not so much what I have in the stash, but when I find an ELUSIVE kit it makes my day! :smiley17: Most recently I was finally able to track down the ID models 1/48 vac P-3 Orion. My wife even managed to stifle her yawn while I eagerly showed it to her!

Still looking for a Classic Castings 1/48 resin A-17 and the Sanger vac 1/48 B-47. Let me know if you can help put another smile on my face! :smiley20: Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Not so much what I have in the stash, but when I find an ELUSIVE kit it makes my day! :smiley17: Most recently I was finally able to track down the ID models 1/48 vac P-3 Orion. My wife even managed to stifle her yawn while I eagerly showed it to her!

Still looking for a Classic Castings 1/48 resin A-17 and the Sanger vac 1/48 B-47. Let me know if you can help put another smile on my face! :smiley20: Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

You are a glutton for punishment.

You are a glutton for punishment.

Oh I've told him that before but he just shakes his head and keeps on smilin'. :smiley17:

later,

Lee

Any Tamiya 1/20 F1 kit.

I second that!

Monogram 1/48 P-61- was really cool for a 11 yr old

Revell 1/48 UH-34D-got one cheap

Tamiya old 1/35 King tiger-cool for a 13 yr old

any model I just purchased !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley17:

Kits that bring a smile to my face:

Revell's 1/32 Wildcat, the first model I built (with lots of help from Dad).

Revell's 1/72 F-16, the one with all the ordnance and tow tractor. You remember, the one in the roll out Red, White, and Blue scheme. Built it one summer, and couldn't believe all the extra stuff you got--and couldn't figure out how the airplane could carry all of it at one time.

Lindberg's 1/500 (or so) Essex-class ships. I learned how to say "Ticonderoga" while building it.

Otaki's 1/48 Corsair. I searched and I searched for this kit back in 1981. Found one and promptly botched the job.

Otaki's 1/48 Hellcat. Bought it after the Corsair. Did as good a job on it as I did a bad job on the Corsair.

Otaki's 1/48 N1K1-Ja, the first model I put into a contest. Finished fourth.

Monogram's 1/48 F-105G. My return to building jets, and the spark that rekindled my Century Series interest.

Dragon's 1/35 M-51. My first serious armor kit.

Airfix's 1/144 737-200 and ATP's Air Florida decals. Nice....

Minicraft's 1/144 737-400 and Avigraphics' Olympic Airlines decals. Even nicer....

Hobbycraft's 1/48 P-26. My "Most Decorated" model (local and Regional firsts, plus a few Special Awards).

Ralph

Any of the Matchbox or Airfix 1/72 kits rock my world. The 1/72 Sopwith Pup in the old hanging package is about it!

Adam... I pulled an old Airfix off the shelf the other day. Always liked the looks of the Auster Antarctic. I acquired the kit for fify cents or so from an estate sale, not in original box and minus the instructions. I've got it almost ready for priming and that should happen later today. I'm putting this version on floats.

It's a fun build, not intended for anything other than the enjoyment of seeing an old model come to "life".

I have to say, that after this 1/72 scale mini-kit I'm going to pick a 24th scale for my next airplane!

Any of the old trophy series kits from AMT or they're annuals from 61-64 manage to bring a smile to this tired old face. They are the kits I started out with so they bring a warm, fuzzy feeling. Also the 1/32 scale cars from Monogram and Aurora, with a smattering of early 60s Lindberg to sweeten the pot. Love them oldies!!!

Dave

I've been thinking long and hard about this one. I think I finally figured it out.

The kits that bring a smile to my face are the old ESCI 1/72 scale armor models. I would love to be able to pick up a few more; there are several I never got to build. Otherwise, I have most of the entire line built.

I've been thinking long and hard about this one. I think I finally figured it out.

The kits that bring a smile to my face are the old ESCI 1/72 scale armor models. I would love to be able to pick up a few more; there are several I never got to build. Otherwise, I have most of the entire line built.

Any in particular? I still have a few on hand, but have noticed that I may be needing reading glasses soon and have started building 1/35 scale kits instead of 1/72 once again.

Any in particular? I still have a few on hand, but have noticed that I may be needing reading glasses soon and have started building 1/35 scale kits instead of 1/72 once again.

Well, the full list includes the Opel Ambulance, the SdKfz. 251/8 Halftrack ambulance, the M-48-A5, the T-62M tank, SdKfz. 251/7 assault bridge, SdKfz. 251/16 (Mine was short shot on the upper hull) the PzKpfw III - Flamethrower and I think the T-34-76M 1943. These are the kits I never built. I usually keep my eyes peeled at shows for these if they are offered at a decent cost.

Ones I've wanted to get a second or third kit of to make in another country's markings were the White scout car and the Leopard 1A3A4. I can usually pick them up at shows though.

If you are offering, let me know what they would cost and I'll see what I can do.

I enjoy seeing the physically large models that came in big boxes. One I recall at a contest years ago was the Revell shuttle launch complex with tower, shuttle, boosters, and crawler. It was built on a huge base that replicated the launch pad complex as well. To cap it off, it was fully illuminated.

I'll always look at the big bombers in 1/72 and 1/48 scale--B-17, B-24, B-29, B-36, B-47, B-52, B-57, B-58, B-60 (saw one once), B-1B, B-2.

The 1/72 airliners catch my attention--B-377 Stratocruisers, all Heller Connies, all Heller 707's, DC-3, Heller DC-6B, KMC 727.

I love examining details on the big ship models. I can't say I have any success in building them, but I certainly appreciate those who do.

The big rigs, when present at a contest, really make a statement in the automotive categories.

I like large space/scifi ships with lighting effects, even though they seem to be rated down by judges over unlighted models. The scratchbuilt ships are wonderful to see.

Put any of the above in a diorama, and that's where you will see me spending my time at the contest tables.

Ed

Edited by ewahl