Is it just me or is the old stuff...

adfogel

I'd deny being a collector, but the 1000 kits in my hobby room are shouting their disagreement. I've told them to shut up, but they just won't listen anymore. They know they outnumber me.

Talking to your models shouldn't be too much of a worry. It's when they start answering you.....then ya gotta start getting concerned! :smiley4::smiley8: :o

Edited by Weedeater

Talking to your models shouldn't be too much of a worry. It's when they start answering you.....then ya gotta start getting concerned!

Oh, they talk alright. In the middle of the night, I hear them whisper, "Build me. Build me." I can't sleep anymore. :wacko:

Oh, they talk alright. In the middle of the night, I hear them whisper, "Build me. Build me." I can't sleep anymore. :wacko:

Mine do the same thing to me too. You should hear the squeals of excitement when I look to choose another project from the stash pile.

Oh man, THAT didn't sound right! :smiley22::smiley8:

I've recently started building a lot of these older kits from Monogram, Airfix, and Matchbox. The cost doesn't have that much to do with it, I'm just finding I have more fun building them.

I was scared off of them for a long time after coming back to the hobby, but I built an A-Model kit last year and that turned out pretty well. By comparison Airfix kits are a gem.

I've also realized I don't care that much about super detail because the models mostly sit on a shelf when done and I don't see all the work inside.

The best part is I actually get these kits built, I've mostly built these kits since January and I've finished more kits so far this year than I have in the past 2 or 3 years combined.

I don't dislike the uber kits, and I still buy some, I just don't avoid the older kits anymore. An added plus is if you do a halfway decent job on an old kit it seems to be more impressive to people than a really nice job on a new kit.

Edited by Aaronw

...snip... An added plus is if you do a halfway decent job on an old kit it seems to be more impressive to people than a really nice job on a new kit.

That is another good reason I like building the older kits. When I can stun another modeler with the name of an older kit that looks like one of the newer ones on the market, it feels so much more fulfilling.

Well spoken Aaron.

Ditto Aaron and Mark on the old kit stunners...it's really rewarding to take an older kit and "bring it up to snuff" with some of the newer stuff.

later,

Lee

I built the old Matchbox A-20 Havoc a couple of months ago. Had a blast, and seeing the old kits from my childhood building then building them (again) as an adult still have that "wow" factor. I have a great Airfix/Heller/Matchbox stash that I ponder way more that the releases from the last 10 years.. The new stuff is great, but the nostalgia for old (fun?) times seems to be the modelling thing for me.

2cents.

AC

• 2 weeks later...

Well then I am a schizophrenic, model building, nostalgic, rivet counting, hoarder.

Meaning there's a little of customer #1, 2, and 3 in me depending on the particular day, or subject I'm interested in that day. I love the old kits. Partly because of nostalgia for my childhood, partly because those are the only avenues to get to those subjects. Just finished a 1968 Monogram F11C-2 1/72 Goshawk (agapemodels.com), which is actually still one of the nicest kits around. I have an old Hawk Travel Air Mystery ship in progress too. There are newer releases of these, but no new tool kits. I have taken a Monogram F-105D and rescribed it, stuck a TD cockpit in it and used an Eduard etched detail set for it. And yes, the pile of kits in the attic demand to be acknowledged as the "collection". It all adds up to me: the 44 year old kit building collector, who is having fun proping up the economy and driving my wife nuts with toy airplanes. May the old stuff never fade away.

Rick L.

ps. I've recently discover car models in a moment of weakness.