Dragon and Directions....

Mark Aldrich

Obliviously Tracy Palmer did not read my review of the Syrian Hummel in the Journal. A quote from the Marder review...

Step 10 was the killer! It would appear that the guy who created these directions never built this kit! What the directions tell you to do is bend a photo etch part to make a storage rack for the shell holders. The directions show it built BACKWARDS! OH by the way, photo etch parts only bend one way ONCE! So when I tried to bend it (VERY carefully!) back the opposite way, the whole thing fell apart! This was a bad thing. I scratch built another one and put the shell holder in. This trick was WAY beyond basic/novice building.

My almost exact statement about the Hummel instructions also. That is just so said.

Great build though!!!!

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Obliviously Tracy Palmer did not read my review of the Syrian Hummel in the Journal. A quote from the Marder review...

Step 10 was the killer! It would appear that the guy who created these directions never built this kit! What the directions tell you to do is bend a photo etch part to make a storage rack for the shell holders. The directions show it built BACKWARDS! OH by the way, photo etch parts only bend one way ONCE! So when I tried to bend it (VERY carefully!) back the opposite way, the whole thing fell apart! This was a bad thing. I scratch built another one and put the shell holder in. This trick was WAY beyond basic/novice building.

My almost exact statement about the Hummel instructions also. That is just so said.

Great build though!!!!

I really like Dragon kits. They are a challenge to build, yet go together reasonably well and look good when finished.

However, like Mark pointed out, the directions frequently are a real mess. On a recent build of a 1/35 Wirbelwind, I fond MANY unused parts when I was nearing completion, and since some appeared to be critical (like a turret ring) I studied the line drawings carefully. I discovered that later drawings actually showed many of the parts installed, but there was no call-out or step that showed the builder when and where to put them.

I have also noticed that Dragon simply copies some build steps from previous/other kits where the parts are the same, but doesn't bother to ensure the copied step(s) are fully integrated with the current kit. Maybe they are in too big of a hurry to release new kits to do a good job of quality control on their instructions. Who knows?

Frustrating for sure, but these oversights are unlikely to keep me from buying Dragon kits. I just learned to study the directions VERY carefully.

Rick,

By no means do I dislike Dragon kits. I really enjoy them. However, when I built the Hummel and obviously Tracy and you agree...the instructions definitely need to be improved. I am currently working on their M4A3 Howitzer and found the same issue you mention. This is mostly in the turret assembly on this kit. Many parts shown installed but no mention of ever installing them and then, show assembly of the barrel in the incorrect way or at least not a way my parts allowed it to be. Maybe I expect too much. After shelling out $40-50 for a kit, I would expect the instructions to be doable.

Mark

After shelling out $40-50 for a kit, I would expect the instructions to be doable.

Mark

You read the instructions? :o

Mike

OK,

Unfortunately, I don't a lot of times when I should. Especially with Dragons kits. It's not that it's bad.....just sometimes......makes you wanna pull what little hair I have left on my head right out!

Sorry Mark, should have been more clear....What I meant was, I didn't realize a treadhead COULD read the instructions........... :smiley4:

RUNNING FOR COVER NOW!

Now, let's not get involved in the limited reading skills of tread heads. They do the best they can. However, it really makes me wonder why Wingnuts can put out a full color set of instructions in their kits and some companies can't do a basic set of instructions. Gone are the days of parts that had the name of the part and number on the instructions.

I remember how we used to laugh at the English in the first kits from Japan. I would think the internet, with multi-lingual people who could write them a set of instructions, these problems persist. But, then again, I build ships and what do I know?

Mike said...Sorry Mark, should have been more clear....What I meant was, I didn't realize a treadhead COULD read the instructions........... :smiley4:

RUNNING FOR COVER NOW!

OMG....so this is what I pay my dues for? Along with a great Journal (that I seem to get 4 weeks after everyone else) I get to be a target for cheap shots!!!! Who says life isn't great!!!! Actually, even though I am a treadhead, I spent so many years in the infantry that I sometimes wondered whether I could read. Grunts are a step down from tankers and very proud of it!

Les,

I love Tamiya instructions (bad English or not). They still include a brief history on the subject matter. I really loved(past tense) Testors instructions. They not only hold you the part number but 99% of the time, told you what it was. Glue part 87, door handle, to door. That helped me a lot as a wee lad.

We called you infantry guys "cricket crunchers" or "field rats." I was in a SADS (Special Ammunition Direct Support) compnay. We supplied Honest John missiles to artillery companies.

a great Journal (that I seem to get 4 weeks after everyone else)

Another conspiracy engineered by the aircraft modelers...haven't you noticed that the managing editor is an aircraft guy?

Looking for a REALLY deep hole now!

Things that make you go....HHHMMM! Now in the aircraft defense. I know Les does ships and still gets his before I do and lives a lot farther away than I do and gets his mail from the same central distribution center. Gotta love the USPS!!!!