4.5L "Blower" Bentley

Engine so far. Amazing how this thing was able to keep the fuel atomized from those carbs all the way to the engine.

bentley_ip1%20004.JPG

bentley_ip1%20003.JPG

Edited by Wildcat

Looking good! As I recall that is a bit of a tough kit to build. I look forward to seeing yours completed!

Later,

Lee

Still looking good. Exceptionally clean!!!

When you say Huge I thought of todays Lincoln Navigator

Comparo:

2010 Lincoln vs 1929 Benley

Wheelbase 119 vs 130

Length 208 vs 181

Width 79 vs 69

Displacement 5.4L vs 4.4L

So the Bently is actually smaller overall but the proportions and size of various parts really do make it feel big.

Keep up the great work. I'll be watching to the end.

Still looking good. Exceptionally clean!!!

When you say Huge I thought of todays Lincoln Navigator

Comparo:

2010 Lincoln vs 1929 Benley

Wheelbase 119 vs 130

Length 208 vs 181

Width 79 vs 69

Displacement 5.4L vs 4.4L

So the Bently is actually smaller overall but the proportions and size of various parts really do make it feel big.

Keep up the great work. I'll be watching to the end.

Good comparison. I also have a 1/24th Bugatti Type 35 and it is TINY next to this behemoth

Just awesome! That's a really fine finish you laid down.

Later,

Lee

Michael

Great job you've done. I've got this kit also ready to start later this month. Have you had any fit problems that I should look for ? Did you wire the engine? Like I said looking nice.

Rod

Michael

Great job you've done. I've got this kit also ready to start later this month. Have you had any fit problems that I should look for ? Did you wire the engine? Like I said looking nice.

Rod

Fit is actually very good. Just a few of the holes need to be opened up. Very few ejection pin issues. Did not wire the engine ---- in pics I found online it is very simple. Used magnetos not a distributor and the kit ignition wiring seems to be very accurate.

I remember seeing one of these (I think it was this one) when I was a kid (about 8-ish) and being awe-struck. Now that I know what goes into one of these, I am impressed even more. Great job. :smiley20: Thanks for sharing it here.

• 6 months later...

Hi Wildcat

I was unaware that Martin Swire had passed away. We exchanged some emails a couple of years ago about his superb Wills Finecast Bugatti T59 that was featured on the Scale Motorcars website. A sad loss to the car modelling fraternity.

Regarding the Heller Bentley featured in these posts. If it is UR6571 it is based on the same car as the big 1/12 scale Airfix one. This was the short chassis variant

known as the 'Pau Car'. It was owned by Neil Corner when Aifix made their kit and maybe he still had it when Heller made theirs. The car was sold on to Anthony Bamford the boss of JCB who has a private collection of classics. I understand that it is now Stateside and now in the Ralph Lauren collection.