Spackle as a filler

802chrisg

Hi all,

Here is different and easy way to fill holes, seams, etc.. As a carpenter I use light weight spackling compound every day to fill nail hole etc.. A year ago I tried it on a model, worked great. Now I use it all the time. It sands easy and is easy to apply. Try it on the underside of a tank first to see if you like or not. The cost is cheap. There are sereral different makers. DAP is the most common. Hope this helps. Happy modeling.

Did you notice that I didn't put this on the gerenal tip forum. Didn't want to give any AIR-planehead any good info :smiley4: .

Enjoy,

Chris Graeter

Treadhead

Colchester, VT

Chris,

Good call on posting it here. We definatley don't want to give the airheads any more information and help than they already get. Like having the majority of the hobby catering to their wants and needs.

Mark

Chris,

Good call on posting it here. We definatley don't want to give the airheads any more information and help than they already get. Like having the majority of the hobby catering to their wants and needs.

Mark

Well said Mark, Well said. :smiley32:

Chris Graeter

Interesting. I may have to try that someday. As a carpenter, I have some of that stuff laying around as well.

And this really belongs in the "Tips & Techniques" Forum, but if you are protecting "state secrets" then I understand......

Do you find that this holds well?

I would be afraid that it would dry/crack over time. I've used enough of the stuff around the house, but never on a model...

Thanks for the tip!

Tim,

Yes I find that it holds up well and does not crack. I would not use it to fill a large holes or cracks.

Dennis,

You moved this on me, Now all the plane guys are going to know this treadhead secret. :smiley3: Oh I seeeee you are a plane guy. RATS the secret is out. Oh well enjoy. :smiley4:

Chris Graeter

IPMS #39558

Colchester, VT

Edited by 802chrisg

Some of us Plane Modelers already knew about this material. I use it all the time for small filling. It seems to work well for me. Nice thing about Spackling Compound is that it can be cleaned up with a wet q-tip. I usually cover it with a coat of Mr. Surfacer to strengthen the material.

Dennis,

You moved this on me, Now all the plane guys are going to know this treadhead secret. :smiley3: Oh I seeeee you are a plane guy. RATS the secret is out. Oh well enjoy. :smiley4:

Chris Graeter

IPMS #39558

Colchester, VT

Sorry Chris, some tips are too good to hide!

When it comes to filling seams, most plane guys have tried virtually every substance known to man...including spackling paste, auto body filler putty, baking soda & cyanoacrylates, acrylic fingernail filler (Walmart for $5, in the aisle with the fingernail polish...yes, I have followed my wife into that aisle rather than lose sight of her in the store), epoxy putty, and Georgia Red Clay mixed with spit.

Some of my best friends build armor but if you've seen one tank you've seen them all.

And so it begins....

No No No.....I will be a good treadhead and not go there!

:smiley15:

Edited by Mark Aldrich

Some of my best friends build armor but if you've seen one tank you've seen them all.

Oh John, That hurt!! But I had it coming. So as a good Treadhead I will take this glancing blow and press forward. You see that is why us treadheads have steel armour for protection :ph34r: , not thin sheets of aluiminum. :smiley14: I must admit that some of the best tips I use have come from plane guys. B)

Chris Graeter

IPMS # 39558

Colchester, Vt

Back when I was a young modeler, we used candle wax to fill and customize cars. Only drawback was that it takes a lot of paint to cover it. How far we've come.

Tim,

Yes I find that it holds up well and does not crack. I would not use it to fill a large holes or cracks.

Dennis,

Chris Graeter

IPMS #39558

Colchester, VT

Okay, but...

1. How do you seal it so it accepts paint the same as a styrene surface?
  2. What glues stick to it?
I've just started using Magic Sculp. It looks like Spackle when it dries, but it's a two-part workable epoxy.

Okay, but...

1. How do you seal it so it accepts paint the same as a styrene surface?
  2. What glues stick to it?
I've just started using Magic Sculp. It looks like Spackle when it dries, but it's a two-part workable epoxy.

What I do is cover it with liquid cement. This seals it and hardens it at the same time. After that it take paint perfectly. A couple of times I forgot to seal it and it still took paint well.

Chris Graeter

IPMS # 39558

What I do is cover it with liquid cement. This seals it and hardens it at the same time. After that it take paint perfectly. A couple of times I forgot to seal it and it still took paint well.

Chris Graeter

IPMS # 39558

Thanks.

Do you use CA or epoxy to attach styrene parts to it?