Hi

Leo

Hi everyone.

Just a few notes of introduction. I live in Melbourne, Australia and as a child and teenager I was a fairly keen model maker – mostly Airfix, Tamiya and Revell. They were all made about 30-40 years ago. Some of them are quite good.

I’m afraid I am so out-of-touch now I have no idea what’s going on, but it did make me glad to find a forum like yours.

Trouble is, with all the changes in life I can’t store these kits I made so long ago anymore. I really don’t want to throw them away, and giving them to any young person I know is kind of like bestowing a death sentence on them anyway.

Sigh.

It’s really sad. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do with them? Are they of any historical value to anyone? To the companies that manufactured them? Or are the same kits still available after all these years? Are some kits more rare than others?

Perhaps this is a thread that should go to another part of the forum rather than the Welcome one – let me know and I will start a new thread.

Regards

Tony,

The first thing you need to consider is what you want to do with them. A list is always helpful but being in Australia isn't a big help either. You can contact many of the manufacturers (if they have websites) and they may use them. Best of luck with your endeavors.

Mark

Hi Tony! If you cannot keep them for yourself (store for the future), I suggest contacting a local library or two to see if they might wish to display them. You might need to do a little work first yourself in dusting them off and repairing any obvious broken bits. If the models are military subjects, you might need to prepare a small card for each one conveying its history. If they're civil subjects you could do the same, or perhaps write the group up as examples of the hobby of plastic modeling, which many kids aren't aware of today (and if they are probably think it's faded away). Best of luck in finding a solution!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Welcome Tony!

In addition to what the gents said above, I would also check with the local schools, and some of the history teachers may be able to use them. Also check in with any youth groups.

Leo,

You might check some local schools to see if they have a need. Sometimes a former faculty member served in the Armed Forces and the school might find a model of a vehicle used by that serviceman.

In the states some of our high schools have military classes (Junior Reserved Officer Training Corps, known as ROTC) and they are always eager to find sources of donations.

Hi everyone.

Just a few notes of introduction. I live in Melbourne, Australia and as a child and teenager I was a fairly keen model maker – mostly Airfix, Tamiya and Revell. They were all made about 30-40 years ago. Some of them are quite good.

I'm afraid I am so out-of-touch now I have no idea what's going on, but it did make me glad to find a forum like yours.

Trouble is, with all the changes in life I can't store these kits I made so long ago anymore. I really don't want to throw them away, and giving them to any young person I know is kind of like bestowing a death sentence on them anyway.

Sigh.

It's really sad. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do with them? Are they of any historical value to anyone? To the companies that manufactured them? Or are the same kits still available after all these years? Are some kits more rare than others?

Perhaps this is a thread that should go to another part of the forum rather than the Welcome one – let me know and I will start a new thread.

Regards