Eduard 1/48 P-39Q

ghodges

100_2606.jpg

Started this one last week as an OOTB build. I give the kit mixed reviews so far.

The interior is more detailed than the old Monogram (duh), and equal to the Hasagawa kit; but is much harder to assemble due to lack of better locators. Looks good when done, but needs care to get it there.

It takes a good amount of weight to balance the model on its gear. I HIGHLY recommend leaving that top forward fuselage cap (right behind the spinner) off until you have the wings and tailplanes on. That way, if you need to add more weight you can do so without having to pry up a glued piece (like me!).

The fuselage and wing edge seams are "good", but not excellent. On the other hand, the wing roots and tailplanes fit excellently.

I'm only building this because someone on Agapemodels.com posted a nice color profile of Bud Anderson's P-39Q "Old Crow". Since I have his P-51B, I figured I needed the P-39Q! I'm using the P-400 kit, but it has the Q parts in the box. I robbed the Old Crow markings from my dad's Accurate Miniatures Racing Airacobras release of the kit, since he plans on building one of those. More as soon as I get some paint on it next week! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Nice start Gil.

Mine went together pretty well, but the trailing deges are pretty thick!

It'll be interesting to see yours done.

Mike

I've got one of those in the works right now. In fact, I'm just about where you are in the construction. The only issue so far was closing the forward fuselage. Had a small gap to fill. My kit kit came with a nose weight which seems more than enough to do the job. I'm going to finish it in Russian colors so I can put the four bladed windmill on it. So far a very nice build.

Chris

Thats funny I'm building the Hasegawa kit and did the same thing with the nose weight. On the other hand I've built several of the Eduard 39's all of them had the nose weight included IIRC.

Eduard P-400, Weekend Edition. No nose weight in my box. As for finding the time to build, it's easy if you neglect the wife and kids! :smiley17:

And congrats to Greggy! I lost count of the times I heard his name called as winner at the Space Coast show. Well done Mr. Wise! Loved seeing your stuff!

Edited by ghodges

Lookin' good, Gil! :smiley2: I'd like to eventually give one of the Eduard P-39s a whirl.

Later,

Lee

Did he call me Greggy? :D

Ok Gil it's on LOL.

If you call him "Gilly" I am goona die from laughter! :smiley4:

Any updates, G-man?

Later,

Lee

100_2618.jpg

Actually, yes! I used Floquil Signal Red for the tail and the nose. I've also applied the chromate green to the canopy so that the frame interiors will appear that color. The rest of the a/c will be the standard OD/gray scheme.

I plan to apply the camo colors Sunday and finish it up by Thursday so that I can take it to our next meeting. Cheers!

Very nice (as usual), Gilly...er, GIL! :smiley17:

Later,

Lee

Actually got the camo on today! As well as painting the prop blades and the wheels. All that's left is the chromate green in the main wells.

100_2626.jpg

Need to add a bit more dark drab to lessen the post shading, and add a little post shading to the red. The countershading is actually less stark in person than compared to the pic, but I think I'll tone it down anyway!

Edited by ghodges

Got the touch-ups done. From this:

100_2626.jpg

To this:

100_2628.jpg

You can barely see the countershading on the red, but you can see there's fewer light spots on the green, especially along the wing leading edges. I also got the wheel wells painted, as well as more of the "fiddly bits". I'll gloss coat it tonight so it can be decaled tomorrow evening. That'll give me 2 evenings to finish it up before our meeting on Thursday night!

She's done!

100_2634.jpg

100_2638.jpg

This was my second attempt at using pencil for the panel lines, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. MUCH easier and faster then using a wash!

100_2641.jpg

Not all that impressed witht he kit, but I'm happy with the end result. Now I have Bud Anderson's Old Crow in 2 versions! All that's left is the P-51D. Cheers!

GIL

Edited by ghodges

Very nice Gill! I started this kit when it first came out with the same scheme in mind. It's still on the shelf of doom. I like seeing the shading process in action- something I haven't mastered.

Kent

That turned out very well, Gil! Nice job! :smiley20:

later,

Lee

Yowza...is it just the lighting, or is that tail really red! Looks great Gil. Sounds like you had a tougher time with it than I did with mine, but the end result looks great!

Mike