What Color Are Alcm's, Anyway?

VonL

Have actually got one of these BUFFs under construction for one of the buds at work (vs. the various pipe dreams I chase in this forum). Am planning on doing the SAC three-color, Euro-I camo with a set of Cutting Edge's last BUFF 'cals for Griffiss AFB, c.1991. The kit's instructions direct overall Gunship Gray pylons, which appears confirmed by a color pic in Motorbooks' "Aging BUFFs, Youthful Crews". The missiles have no weathering and they all look lighter than the Gunship Gray of the pylons.

Suggestions for the CALCMs, color gurus...?

Thanx for any help here.

Most Air Force weapons are FS 36375 Light Ghost Grey.

Hope this helps.

Guest Chrgr440RT

Make sure you use the right color stripes on them. ALCMs ( the nukes ) have different colored stripes from CALCMs ( conventional ). I'm not 100% sure, but I think ALCMs have brown stripes and CALCMs have yellow.

"...veddy innnnteresssting..."

Light Ghost Gray sounds like the school solution. My LGG is dried out - looks like I 'need' a trip to the hobby store - dang!

Will need to look closer for those stripes, as most pix I've seen are distance shots - did not realize there were stripes on them.

Yup...the FAS.org gallery for AGM-86 shows a CALCM with a yeller stripe being carries to the jet on a jammer...gotta love this forum.

Thanx Fellaz!

small world- A buddy of mine also wants me to build the same kit in the same colors. I hope you plan on posting in-progress shots here. BTW after doing a little test fitting I don't foresee any major problems.

small world- A buddy of mine also wants me to build the same kit in the same colors. I hope you plan on posting in-progress shots here. BTW after doing a little test fitting I don't foresee any major problems.

Well...take your time with the alignment of those fuselage chunks, be prepared to use a buncha putty, shims, etc. Will try to remember to take a few pix. Configuration of this one will be gear-up to hang from the ceiling, and the gear doors didn't fit very well at all. Also:I was gonna epoxy some brass strips into the bottom for ECM antennae and forgot to do that, so it will have to be stout sheet plastic toward the end of the build. More later

CHEERS!

Von_L

• 1 month later...

And another thing...

Looking at online pix of ALCMs, the missiles from c.1991/DESERT STORM era had stars & bars with no color stripes on them at all (original nuke version?), but the later CALCM shots show a yellow stripe and no other markings. The Aging BUFFs book shows a B-52G with external missiles loaded, with the maroon bands, which I'm assuming are the crowd-pleasers. Since I just can't tell when those stars/bars went away and when the yellow stripes appeared (IIRC the conventional ALCMs stayed out of sight until well after DS) I'm gonna do some artistic license and make them plain jane with the yellow stripes. THERE - solved that one! The Light Ghost gray on them looks good, BTW.