Spitfire again.

There is this mold line that runs across the top center of the canopy. I'm afraid to touch it but I know it needs to be removed. What's the safest way to remove and not leave the canopy looking crappy.

Buy a Flexi-I-File #3210 polisher/finisher sanding stick or similar product from Squadron's line of sanding sticks. The stick will have three different grits on one stick. Use the heaviest grit to sand out the mold line, then use the two other grits to successively eradicate the sanding marks left by the previous grit. Ideally, work each grit at 90 degrees to prior grit to make it easier to see when the scratches left by the previous grit disappear. Finish the whole process then by dipping your canopy in Future floor wax to get it like-new.

HTH,

Mike Quan

Well I did it. I got a nail polishing stick at the Dollar tree and took out my first canopy seam today. Worked like a charm. I used the white and orange side to remove the seam then polished it with the gray side and a dip in future. Came out pefect. Feels good when you do something right for the first time.

Mike's advice is golden. You can also add another step. After you've left scratch marks all over the canopy, wet sand it down with 2000 grit, then 6000, then 8000, and finally buff it out with 12000 grit.

Then dip it in Future. I have managed to overcome my fear of sanding imperfections out of the canopy and can produce a crystal clear and clean canopy with this process.

Like to see some pics before and after.

Good luck

I've used the sanding process described above by Dick on large automotive windshields and rear glass panels to get rid of distortions in the clear plastic. There are high spots that need to be taken down and the occasional mold marks and scratches to remove. When the clear plastic looks uniformly dull from the progressive sanding, you are ready to polish it out. I've used Brasso :huh: straight from the can on a small paper towel pad, then followed up with Novus #2 and then Novus #1. By this time it is so clear you don't even need the Future dip, which now becomes optional. :smiley17:

Ed

I've never tried the Brasso method. Sounds easy and coupled with the results that you describe it sounds like it is something I'll try. I'll hit the local store tomorrow to see if I can find a small can. And I think its time I replace my sheet of 12000 grit. One goes a long way since about the only time I use it is in conjunction with a canopy issue.

Sorry for coming late to the thread!

I know the first time I looked at one of these, I was afraid to do anything. I did the sanding as mentioned above, and like Ed used the NOVUS #2 & #1. After I was done, you couldn't even tell that there was a seam there in the first place. That alone has made me a big fan of the NOVUS products & I recommend them to everyone. You can get them in smaller 'trial' type bottles too!