M998 HMMWV

JeffS

This is the Italeri 1/35 scale M998 Hummer kit number 249.

I really like the Italeri Hummers except for one area. The tires all look like they have 50k miles on them and the treads are wrong. But overall the kits fit well and are great fun to build. Best of all, with newer releases from manufacturers, these are pretty cheap now.

This is the Deasert Patrol Hummer.

100_6846.jpg

100_6849.jpg

100_6850.jpg

100_6852.jpg

Jeff,

Excellent work. The wheels are wrong on pretty much all HMMWVs except for the two recent Tamiya releases. That is why there or soooo many different aftermarket sets out. Even the old Verlinden set (designed for the old Tamiya bushmaster) are a better choice than many of the kit supplied wheels.

Mark

Jeff,

Excellent work. The wheels are wrong on pretty much all HMMWVs except for the two recent Tamiya releases. That is why there or soooo many different aftermarket sets out. Even the old Verlinden set (designed for the old Tamiya bushmaster) are a better choice than many of the kit supplied wheels.

Mark

FYI, the old Tamiya Bushmaster kit is the Italeri HMMWV (like the one modeled above) with a different hardtop sprue.

See,

Thanks to fellow knowledgable treadheads, I learn something new everyday. I thought Italeri and Tamiya just recently got into bed together.

These two kits (Tamiya Bushmaster and Italeri Desert Patrol) are so close that it is just one sprue different (the hard top, weapon system). The door, chassis, wheels, suspension, glass are all the exact same model parts.

To be honest, I don't think that this configuration became operational, only a test bed configuration. Still had fun building it. Forgot to memntion that the rear window in the crew cab was clear blue sheet. A poor man's tinting.

No, this version never entered into service. Italeri did cut corners when making a model of the truck. On the actual vehicle, the tailgate is removed and the back doors are full length, split down the center and open to the right and left.