Pz.kpfw Kv-1 756(r) tank history?

DavidF

Hey all, getting ready to start an armor project and I'm trying to do some research. My subject is the 1:48 Hobbyboss Pz.kpfw Kv-1 756( r ) tank kit. My first challenge is I don't fully understand German armor names or designations, but I'm assuming Pz stands for Panzer. The rest I'm in the dark about. Anyway, I'm trying to find some history on-line about this tank, but not having much luck. Really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Edited by Dave23

I am a plane guy, but hanging out with armor types I learend that the ( r ) means that the item was originally of Russian manufacture (i.e. a captured enemy tank put back into service by the Germans.)

Dave,

The subject you are talking about is a captured KV-1 russian tank used by the Germans. The Pz.kpfw Kv-1 was the German assigned name of the vehicle. For a history on this tank try this site, Achtung Panzer. This is a good site with history of all Germany vehicles and captures equipment. Oh one more thing, you must be a plane guy, because no self respecting Treadhead would have a plane next to his info. Good luck with your project, I hope this helps. Good to see that you are coming around to world of armour.

Chris Graeter

Vermont Treadhead

Pz.Kpfwgn = Panzerkampfwagen = Special Vehicle, Tank.

You've mixed up your German armor phrases.

The word Panzerkampfwagen literally translates to Armored Combat Vehicle which is just German for the word "tank". It is abbreviated in several ways but normally Pzkfw or some variation.

Because of limitations imposed by the Treaty of Versailles, Germany produced military vehicles under the guise of the code name Sonderkraftfahrzeug.

Sonderkraftfahrzeug translates literally into Special Motor Vehicle. It is often abbreviated Sd.Kfz.

That's why many WW2 German military vehicles have two names, the Sd.Kfz nomenclature and the Pzkfw nomenclature.

For instance, the Pzkfw IV was also the Sd.Kfz 161.

The Panzer I is a Leicht (sp) Panzer or Light Tank. Mark, I have some books that might help. Be glad to loan them to you. We could meet in Silverdale. Email me if you want them.

The Panzer I is a Leicht (sp) Panzer or Light Tank. Mark, I have some books that might help. Be glad to loan them to you. We could meet in Silverdale. Email me if you want them.

The tank he's building isn't a Panzer 1. It is a captured Soviet KV-1 tank pressed into German service and given a German name "Pzkfw KV-1". The KV-1 is one of the heavier Soviet tanks of WW2, definitely not light.