Three Aircraft Roll out of Maddog Manufacturing Plant

Mark Deliduka

Ladies and gentlemen, may I please draw your attention to the nearby hanger doors as we prepare to roll out the latest aircraft completed at Maddog Manufacturing.

We'll start with one of the older models I started, and one of the two Swedish aircraft I'd been working on. This is the Heller 1/72 scale Saab Draken finally finished and first out on the tarmac:

Swedish%20Saab%20Draken%20I.jpg

Swedish%20Saab%20Draken%20II.jpg

Next up out of the hanger is the biggest and most difficult of the three aircraft I'd been working on. This is the 1/72 scale Maquette C-75 Stratoliner completed in USAAF colors and markings. It ain't perfect, but it is far better than a Maquette kit deserves to be!

Here she is:

US%20C%2075%20Stratoliner%20I.jpg

US%20C%2075%20Stratoliner%20II.jpg

US%20C%2075%20Stratoliner%20III.jpg

And finally, the first replacement aircraft for one of the three models stolen from the 2007 Nationals. This is the old Eidai 1/72 scale Beechcraft Bonanza V-35 civilian plane. I finished her up to look as much like the previous one as I could, wile trying to improve a little on the paint job. Still, it was tough given the issues with the decals. I'm proud of this one and very happy to have it back in my collection:

Civilian%20Beechcraft%20V35B%20Bonanza%20I.jpg

Civilian%20Beechcraft%20V35B%20Bonanza%20II.jpg

Civilian%20Beechcraft%20V35B%20Bonanza%20III.jpg

Civilian%20Beechcraft%20V35B%20Bonanza%20IV.jpg

Well, that completes this latest unveiling of the newest aircraft to enter the Duke's Air Force. Thank you all for checking them out. Comments are very welcome.

They look great Mark. And to think someone actually suggested I might catch up to your production! And a Macquette kit to boot!!!

Mike

Mike,

I never assumed anyone would catch up with the Duke. I did however, make a deal that I might be able to stay abreast on a ratioed level. Tlook great and I really like the colors on the Draken.

Thanks guys! Mike, you may be able to stay up with me, I have been slowing down lately. I have a break from work this past weekend and today so I'll be marathoning on the workbench to see what I can get done before the next dry spell. That's your chance to catch up.

Mark thanks! The blue is from the old Testor's 15-cent square bottle (or rather, the one thast used to cost 15 cents!LOL!) It was glossy going on, but the dullcoat flattened it well. I'm glad it's finally done. Now to finish the Viggen....

Stay tuned guys. More armor to come.

really fine work there, Mark! :smiley20: Love the C-75 and that's cool that you could replicate your missing Bonanza. Mind if I ask what happened in '07 at the Nats? Newbie here and I'm just trying to get up to speed. :smiley2:

Later,

Lee

BLUE!!!!! :D The Draken looks good but very bright. Well done. Love the C-75. An impressive airplane. Looks like a big brother to the C-46. Looks good. Finally, the Bananza in a great private airplane. A friend of mine owned one in Venezuela. He would fly it to Miami regularly. Lots of water on one engine.

Wow, thanks guys. What great comments!

Yes Clare, BLUE! That was the color call out that I saw and so that's what I used. LOL! I like it. Makes for a different appearance. I agree about the C-75 too. Now if I can only get a C-46 in 1/72 scale.... Thanks for the compliments.

Thanks Gil! Glad you like them. The ball is still in motion; I have five more tanks almost finished. Hopefully in the next day or three

Thanks Lee for the compliments. I agree, it's great that I can replicate the stolen plane. As for what happened at the '07 Nats, I took quite a number of models, among them were a 1/72 scale Aurora Pier Cherokee, a 1/72 scale Aurora Piper Aztec, and a 1/72 scale Eidai Beechcraft Bonanza identical to the one above. While I was packing up to go home at the end of the show, someone ripped the three aforementioned planes out of my boxes and took them home. I hope by now they are broken beyond repair. Fortunately, I have located replacements for the two Pipers at a reasonable and reachable price and as soon as I can pay for them I will get them built.

As a side note Lee, I set a record for the most models ever entered at a Nationals convention, although nobody mentions it. I think it'll stand for awhile... :smiley20::smiley17:

Wow, I am sorry to hear that the planes were stolen, Mark. :smiley13: That's a real shame. At least you have been able to locate kits to replicate what you had taken from you.

I've built the Williams Bros. C-46 and it's a nice kit. Hopefully you can track one down.

Later,

Lee

I agree with Lee. The Williams Brothers kit of the C-46 can be built to look very good. Being a Williams Brothers kit, it will have to be modified to build the version that you want but it is worth the work.

C-46-2.jpg

Very nice, Clare! Is this teh original release or the newer one from last year? Love the markings. Everts Air still flies a few of them. Jsut saw one last Saturday at the Kenai Airport here in Alaska. All nice and shiny polished aluminum. :smiley14:

Later,

Lee

Awesome! Thanks guys for the comments and thanks Clare for the pic. It would be great to get a C-46, but we'll see. Is the Williams Brother's kit injection molded plastic? I've never really heard of that company before. Thanks for letting me know about them and this kit.

Hmmm... I'd love to get a set of extra decals to 'spice up' my C-75 like those decals do for the Commando. Maybe it's time to sift through my decal stash...

Awesome! Thanks guys for the comments and thanks Clare for the pic. It would be great to get a C-46, but we'll see. Is the Williams Brother's kit injection molded plastic? I've never really heard of that company before. Thanks for letting me know about them and this kit.

Hmmm... I'd love to get a set of extra decals to 'spice up' my C-75 like those decals do for the Commando. Maybe it's time to sift through my decal stash...

Yes, it's injection-molded. Nice kit and really looks sharp once completed (as you can see from Clare's build). I would think that you could find one for between $10-20, mark.

Later,

Lee

Hey, Mark,

These are all great looking aircraft. You have such a range of types of planes that it boggles the mind. The C-75 conversion is a great piece of work, and I've followed along as you struggled with the sanding of the imprefections. I really liked seeing it with the cockpit windows exposed from the masking.

I would have added a response sooner, but the wife and I have been on a 10-day road trip putting suicidal bugs on the front of her car for 2,600 miles. We went down to Gil's territory to visit Mom and family in Florida.

I can provide you some added info about the Williams Bros. Curtiss C-46 in 1/72 scale (your favorite). I am looking at the original issue 72-346 instructions for this data.

There are two choices of type of props--3-blade Hamilton and 4-blade Curtiss.

There are two types of wheels--hard or flexible tires.

The landing gear may be installed either extended or retracted.

There are decal markings for four aircraft.

#1--U.S.A.A.F. 15159, circa 1942. O.D. over neutral grey; 3-blade props; no gun ports in fuselage windows; appropriate antennas; and 1942 U.S. round insignia with red dot in white star.

#2--U.S.A.A.F. 296803; circa 1944. Bare metal aircraft; 4-blade props; fuselage windows with gun ports; appropriate antennas; and 1944 blue-and-white star-and-bar U.S. insignia.

#3--Chinese Air Force C-46289, circa 1946-47. Overall O.D.; 4-blade props; gun ports in windows; appropriate antennas; and Nationalist Chinese markings.

#4--Flying Tiger Line N67981, circa 1950's. Bare metal aircraft; lots of suggestions for converting a warbird to a civilian transport; and lots of FTL airline livery decals.

Good luck on finding one of these originals; I don't know what's in the reissued kit box. From Clare's C-46, you can see how this will add to your collection. Display it next to your C-47 and C-75 for a size comparison.

Ed

Excellent! Thanks Ed for all that info, and thanks Lee for confirming that one is out there. That would be awesome getting one of these. Imagine having a set of aircraft detailing the full line of transport aircraft developed over the years. This would be a good start. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one of those Commandos.

No worries, mark. I'd hate for you to miss out as it's a nifty kit. I'm sure if you posted up something in the Wants & Disposals section you'd have someone willing to part with one. Ed, that was really classy of you to post that info up on the kit. :smiley20:

Later,

Lee

Thanks Lee. Right now, I have a contact who has found kits of the other two stolen aircraft. I'm saving up to get them first. Then when I get them and build them, I'll think about getting the C-46.

More to come.