Decal Printing

scott

Greetings my fellow model builders

My name is Scott and i am new to the forums and i have been build 1/48 and 1/32 scale aircraft ever since i was around 14

and i have recently found out about Decal Printing to make custom decals so i did some research and found some Testors decal sheets at my local Hobby Lobby and try it out and was able to make a solid black sheet that i used to make some tiger stripes for a 1/48 scale Huey but the problem i am having is that i am having trouble making a sheet for say a 1/48 scale

F 16A but when i print them they come out to big for the scale i want

Does anyone here know what size of picture i should use to get the scale size i am looking for or is this art just a hunt and print type thing to get the size you want

Any help would be greatful

If you have an image editing program such as Photoshop, you can scale the image to the size you need before printing it. However, this demands that you know the original size of the design first. For example, if you want to print a design that is 4 feet (48 inches) high in real life to fit a 1/48 scale model, you must reduce the size of that image to 1 inch high.

There are simply too many variables to tell you what "size of picture" you need to print a given decal to fit a given model. But if you have a drawing program such as Illustrator, you can draw your own designs to the correct size to begin with. But again, this demands that you know the actual size of the original design.

Edited by SkyKing

If you want a simple way try this, lay the upper fuselage + wings on a printer/scanner. Now scan and save as bitmap. Now use the scan to test fit your tiger strips.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a brutally simple method. I resize the image, then save it under a different file name. Then I print it on regular paper. If it's too big, I make it a couple of percent smaller, if it's too small, a few percent bigger. Then save it under another different file name and print it again.

Eventually you come out with the size you need. I use Paint Shop Pro, which allows me to resize in 1% steps, which is usually WAY too small a change. 10 to 20% is closer.

OK, I just checked. You can resize in PhotoShop, but I'm not as familiar, and you have to go with pixels or image size.

But if it's a stupid idea, and it works, it isn't so stupid, is it?

Jim

Here's how I've done it. Scan it in to your photo files. Then if you have Publisher or another printing program, bring it up and copy the image to a blank page. You can then resize it any way you wish. Print it and use Micro Decal Solution (Not the setting solution). It is rather thick and put it over the printed area. Do not brush it. Just put some on and let it spread by itself. You might want to make several copies in case you mess up the first few times. After it dries, cut it out and apply it to the model just as you would a factory decal. Hope this helps.

I assume you mean the liguid. I use the Bare Metal Foil decal film through an inkjet printer. The Microscale decal liquid is applied over it to seal it. If you brush it, you will probably smear the ink.

I assume you mean the liguid. I use the Bare Metal Foil decal film through an inkjet printer. The Microscale decal liquid is applied over it to seal it. If you brush it, you will probably smear the ink.

Okay, thanks. I wonder if it can be airbrushed onto the decal sheet?

• 1 month later...

You can also use Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic for coating the decals after printing. It dries fast, is available in flat, semi, or clear coats, and it lasts forever. It is great for making anti-glare panels.

Ken Friend

Edited by kfriend

Mark,

I don't see why you couldn't air brush it. I don't remember if it's water soluable or not, but I think it is. You'd have to try it out on a spare piece of plastic and decal first.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, thanks. I wonder if it can be airbrushed onto the decal sheet?

I once shot SuperFilm thru my Badger 200 by mistake, thinking it was a Micro brand clear coat. It went on a little pebbly, but eventually performed about like the semigloss or flat clear coat. Cleaned up by shooting rubbing alcohol thru the Badger and lived happily ever after.