I've been busy...

Jeff Herne

I've been a busy lad, focusing primarily on 1/32 aircraft at the moment. All of these models were started in 2010...

sb2c_001.jpg

1/32 Combat Models SB2C-3. I got antsy and shot the model before it was 100% done, as it lacks Yagi aerials and weathering.

ar234_001.jpg

1/32 Combat Models Ar-234. Used some resin update parts from my friend Radu Brinzan (who mastered the all-resin MDC Arado).

ar234_002.jpg

Arado cockpit before I closed up the nose.

Avia023.jpg

Pacific Coast Models Fiat G.55. One of the prettiest aircraft ever built. Look for this model to appear in FSM soon.

Avia065.jpg

Avia S.199 Mezec. This is a 21st Century Toys kit and an ARBA conversion. This model will also appear in FSM soon.

Avia019.jpg

Hasegawa F-104G Starfighter. This model was actually started in 2009, but it was sidelined early when I couldn't find decals for the aircraft I wanted. The decals are a mishmosh of F-4 Phantom decals and WW1 Iron Crosses from a Roden Dr.I.

J

Wow - Superb! Love the Helldiver, especially. How long did it take you from the ID Models starting-glob, to that fine piece...!?

Thanks guys.

Actually, it was Combat Models, and it wasn't that bad. Jeff Roberts has been re-working the Combat molds since he took the company over from the late John Rucks.

Combat has gotten a bad rep over the years, in some instances, justifiably so. This kit went together rather quickly, less than 20 hours of work to get it assembled (basic assembly, wings, fuselage, etc).

I did all the assembly work then dropped the interior into the model. Since the canopy area is so large, I was able to simply put a floor into the model to act as a bulkhead along with some vertical bulkheads. Then I scratchbuilt the cockpit and rear gunner's positions and dropped them into the fuselage.

Granted, I did cheat on some parts, I used a Hasegawa P-47 instrument panel since it was about the same shape and profile, I used a leftover seat from the spares box, rudder pedals, etc.

The tricky part proved to be the gunner's ring mount. I ended up building the mount from a Trumpeter SBD then scratching one using that as a reference.

J

As I understated over on Agape.com; IMPRESSIVE!! Make no apologies for substituting spare parts where possible. That's the name of the game in vac building, especially if you want to retain what sanity you have left!

GIL :smiley16:

Sanity? That my friend departed a looooong time ago.... :lol:

Clare, if I make it to Kalamazoo, they'll be with me, unless of course the piece de resistance is complete...

My "I'll have done for the next Nats" project... a 1/32 B-24.

J

Outstanding work, Jeff! Love to see the vacs done so nice.

Later,

Lee

Thanks fellas.

The Avia was originally supposed to be a Hasegawa G-14, but at the last minute I wimped out and decided that I didn't want to ruin a $50 if something went wrong...so I used a 21st Century kit instead.

The ARBA conversion fit perfectly. I did rob some parts from the Hasegawa kit, like the windscreen and canopy, as I have a superb PE canopy from RB Productions for my G-14 kit.

J

Nice work Jeff! You need a medal for building not one but TWO Combat kits in the same year! :smiley32: