IPMS/USA FS color chart/book

adfogel

Just wondering if the IPMS/USA FS reference book and color chart is still around and can be bought? I think that David Klaus did this, correct? I never got around to getting one and I am thinking now is a good time. IPMS/Stockholm has a very nice chart on their website but I was hoping for something that I could put my hands on.

Thanks for any help!

Lee Fogel

I agree with Lee, online's nice but nothing beats having the chips in hand, so to speak....

Last I knew Dave K did still have a few for sale, but now that he's "out of business" I don't know how to contact him. Perhaps one of the Northern Virginia or DC guys could put you in touch with him to check.

I also see them from time to time at shows, so they are still out there.

The info is dated somewhat at this point, but I still use it at least a few times a year for a reference.

Thanks for the info, Tim. :smiley2:

Later,

Lee

I got mine 6 or 7 years ago from the General Services Administration (GSA). Do a google search for them, I'm sure you can still get a fan deck from there.

Thanks Kit! I checked it out and lo and behold here's the link if you want to buy one...

http://www.estore.fed-std-595.com/FED-STD-...B0.qscstrfrnt05

However, at $158 I think I will pass and just hope to run across one a wee bit cheaper down the line. :smiley23:

Later,

Lee

The main value of Dave K's old book was the fact that it cross-referenced then-current model paint line colors to FS595a and other standard color charts. (RLM, etc.) Much of this info is contained in information at the IPMS Stockholm site. Here is the link.

Thanks David! I have had that site bookmarked for quite some time and it is terrific. I just figured it would be nice to have both the chips and the book in print form so that it's easier to lay out while I am working on my projects. I guess what I couls do is print out the pages of info and then keep an eye out for one of the color chips wheels at an affordable price.

Thanks again for the information!

Later,

Lee

I know that we are all pack rat type collectors, but this is just another reason to keep doing it. If you think that something is neat and helpful, get it when you see it. It will only get more expensive. Having said that, I deserve my pack rat stripes well. I have my FS 595a when the GSA. was still including updates plus I have the Klaus book (very helpful) as well as a book on the Methuen system. At $158, I too would pause on getting the FS chips.

Lee, (all)

Just to be clear - there are NO color chips in Dave's guide - it is only a printed reference.

The GSA FS Color chips are a totally seperate item.

I have a rather old chart, as well as the mid version. When I saw the price of the "New" fandeck, I decided that I didn't need one either!

Gil, I wish I had $50 to offer you! :smiley17: Like I said I'll have to keep an eye out for one on the cheap.

Tim, I did know that they are two separate pieces but I figured since they work in conjunction with one another that it would be wise to have each part. I know that Mr. Klaus seems to think anything touched by him is worth gold so I seriously doubt it's worth contacting him (if that was even possible). I'll just try to keep an eye out for one of these as well.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's help on this. :smiley20: And if any of you out there have either of these items I'd be interested. Please understand I do have a fairly small budget.

Grateful,

Lee