'28 Ford Tudor Sedan

In 1965 AMT released their model of the '28 Ford Tudor Sedan. It was a one time only issue and any more a highly sought after kit that can command insane prices. The kit I'm using for this build was given to me by a friend who is suffering through some health problems. His words to me when he handed me the box we, "I know you'll do it justice." That in mind along with the knowledge of is failing health has prompted me to move thins buuld to the head of the 'Needs to get built' list.

The first thing that needed to be corrected was the shrinkage around the door openings. Even in 1965 they had a bad habit of removing castings from the molds to soon and the casting shrunk. The area around the door frame required a fair amount of filling to get rid of the sink marks. I use scrap pieces of Evergreen Styrene "melted" in Tamiya Extra Thin Cement as filler. It melts into the kit plastic becoming part of the surrounding plastic. It cures in 24-36 hours, dries hard, sands easily and best of all it doesn't shrink like most spot putties are prone to.

IMG_3934-vi.jpg

IMG_3933-vi.jpg

IMG_3936-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The missing front bumper support has been replaced from an old parts kit that I had acquired several years ago. The plan is to use a flathead from any one of Revell's line up of '30s-'40s hot rod kits. Update as much of the underframe as possible without major reworking using front and rear axles from the Revell'32 Ford line of kits. The tires and wheels are from an old issue of the lil' John Buttera '26 Sedan Delivery. The Halibrand kidney bean wheels will fit the period that I would like this build to represent.

Your questions, comments and suggestions are always welcome. Stay tuned, more to come soon.

Edited by fletch

One thing that I've noticed with the AMT '28 Tudor Sedan is that for a kit that was issed 1 time they sure used a lot of different colored styrene. I've got 3 of these kits and all of them are different colors of "White".

Anyway, on with the build. The initial body work has been completed, the sink marks along the door post have been filled, sanded and dressed. The body and hood are now ready for paint.

IMG_3938-vi.jpg

The fender/chassis unit still requires some additional work. As the Model 'A' Ford frame was never designed to accept a flathead V8 the mid-frame cross-member needs to be replaced. Normally this isn't a problem but with the fenders and frame being a single cast unit, it makes life a bit more interesting.

IMG_3941-vi.jpg

The cross-meber marked in black will get replaced with either a scratch built piece or one from an AMT '29 Roadster. The rear cross-member will also get replaced with a scratch built unit as the Ford 9" rear end that will go under the Sedan requires either a 4-link suspension system or the transverse spring to be behind the axle not above it as in the Model 'A' frame.

The plan for finish on the Tudor is House of Kolor (HoK) KBC11 Apple Red for the body and hood with the fender unit HoK Bc25 Black.

UK11_BC02_002-vi.jpgBC25_002-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

After all it is suppose to be a traditional Hot Rod.

Edited by fletch

Wow that thing's gonna POP when you get it painted. Never seen the kit myself, but it's great. I love the top. It's got a great shape to it.

Wow that thing's gonna POP when you get it painted. Never seen the kit myself, but it's great. I love the top. It's got a great shape to it.

The overall profile of the body is actually pretty close to the 1:1 '28 Tudor Sedan based on a scan that I have of the original elevation drawing.

2829TudorSedan-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Most of these kits are now going for around $100 and that's for those in far from mint condition.

Edited by fletch