Reference Source Needed

Bob Dedmon

Guys, I'm working on the AM 1/48 F-3F-1 and I don't want to do it with SOB markings, I'm looking for a shot (or 2 or 3) of F-3F-1's assigned to Enterprise or Yorktown. I have photos of planes assigned to Wasp and Ranger but I'd prefer to do the Big E or Yorktown. The closest I can come are F-2F's assigned to Yorktown or F-3F-2/3 on the Enterprise...I'm looking for specific BuNo.

They go back a ways but Profile Publications number 92 covers the F3F series. One of their profiles covers VF-6 of the USS Enterprise. Some of the photos show Enterprise birds also.

You may be out of luck Bob....

I've seen references in books to F3F-1's serving on the Wasp, Saratoga, amd Ranger (black, white, and green tails), but no other cariers (and no, my resources are not exhaustive!). It may well be that the Enterprise and Yorktown didn't get any until the -2/3's were in service. Remember, the Yorktown class carriers weren't commisioned until the latter half of the 30's, which coincides with the latter part of the Grumman F3F service.

That said, if you do want something different, I did see a Marine F3F-1 that would be a bit different (red/white/blue rudder). However, even that is still SOB markings; as all of the #s and letters needed to do one of those are included on the kit decl sheet! If this is a case of you desiring accuracy for your own sake, then I wish you luck. However, if you don't particularly care all that much, put a red or blue tail on that F3F-1. Almost no one will know the difference! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

You may be out of luck Bob....

I've seen references in books to F3F-1's serving on the Wasp, Saratoga, amd Ranger (black, white, and green tails), but no other cariers (and no, my resources are not exhaustive!). It may well be that the Enterprise and Yorktown didn't get any until the -2/3's were in service. Remember, the Yorktown class carriers weren't commisioned until the latter half of the 30's, which coincides with the latter part of the Grumman F3F service.

That said, if you do want something different, I did see a Marine F3F-1 that would be a bit different (red/white/blue rudder). However, even that is still SOB markings; as all of the #s and letters needed to do one of those are included on the kit decl sheet! If this is a case of you desiring accuracy for your own sake, then I wish you luck. However, if you don't particularly care all that much, put a red or blue tail on that F3F-1. Almost no one will know the difference! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil, I appreciate your thoughts but I have a shot of the Yorktown with F-2Fs on deck, red fore and aft, and as Bob Hester mentions Yellow Wings has a decal sheet for them as well. Another point is that Wasp came after Yorktown and Enterprise and had them assigned.

Very true! You'd think that if they had F2Fs, then F3F-1's would be expected. However, since those planes were all built in very limited numbers it may just not have happened. Hope you can find the reference that you need , but my (admitidly) limited sources didn't show anything. Best of luck!

GIL