My Workbench Window (Paul Bradley)

PaulBradley

Just two completions so far this year, both 1/72, both old Airfix kits, both for Group Builds at the Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum, and both RAF Coastal Command fighters!

First up is the Bristol Blenheim IV; this represents a 254 Squadron a/c. The kit has little interior detail, so I scratchbuilt a cockpit and added some detail to the wheel wells; otherwise, its pretty much box-stock.

blenheim18.jpg

blenheim19.jpg

Next up is the DeHavilland Mosquito FB.VI. This one also has a scratchbuilt cockpit, plus scratchbuilt undecarriage and some other detailing added.

mosquito21.jpg

mosquito22.jpg

As usual with these older, simple kits, half the fun is in the scratchbuilding. :smiley20:

On the bench are a trio of Airfix 1/72 Spitfires; the new Mk.IX and XIX, plus the old Mk.1.

Nice work Paul! The invasion stripes really make that Mosquito jump! I was surprised last weekend to see that same Airfix Blenheim in my dad's collection, as he's not too keen about multi-engine or Brit stuff.

Gil :smiley16:

Between this post and the A20 a few days back, I'm feeling the need to hit the hobby shop and and take a trip down memory lane with a few of these old kits. Both really nice. I've always liked the Blenheim in that mark. The contoured nose is a classic Brit solution. Just proves once again, a real modeler can make anything look great. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Cheers, guys - these older kits can be a lot of fun and you do get to use some of those latent modelling skills that most modern kits allow to atrophy. :smiley17:

Nice to see both Paul. I sense a twin engine Brit type year for you.

Too right, David - Beaufighter next, then perhaps another Mosquito.....! :smiley2:

Excellent work, Paul!

Later,

Lee

Paul,

It has been fun watching these builds over at uamf

Cheers, guys - these older kits can be a lot of fun and you do get to use some of those latent modelling skills that most modern kits allow to atrophy. :smiley17:

Too right, David - Beaufighter next, then perhaps another Mosquito.....! :smiley2:

Paul,

I was kidding, but it sounds like you really are on a Brit Twins kick. Any chance we'll see a Hampton or a Whitley?

Cheers, guys!

Any chance we'll see a Hampton or a Whitley?

Never say never. I have both in the stash. :smiley1:

Just for you, Clare, here's the Blenheim cockpit - this one I kept very simple, because the glazing is rather thick and you can't see much when its in place:

IMG_5624Large.jpg

And the Mossie, which I decided needed a bit more, as I opened the crew access door on the starboard side:

mosquito08.jpg

Mostly scratchbuilt in both cases, with a little PE help for the Mossie. :smiley1:

Full build threads at the UAMF forum.

Edited by PaulBradley

• 2 weeks later...

Outstanding, Paul! :smiley20:

Later,

Lee

One color and 8 decals makes for a fast build! Looks good Paul. Is that a camara window open on the fuselage?

GIL :smiley16:

Sure is, Gil - camera hatch on the port side, radio hatch on starboard, though often used for accessing the cameras. Pavla has a camera set that includes a new hatch, while I had to cut the radiohatch out and create a new door.

Better save the rest for the review...! ;)