IPMS METRO ATLANTA REGION 3 CONVENTION

I would like to invite the modeling world to visit the IPMS Metro Atlanta Model Expo 2010 on June 25th & 26th this summer.

If you live on the east side of the Mississippi and cannot make it to the national convention in Phoenix because of distance, school conflicts (our local problem in Atlanta) or simply don't want to take the heat for going... Come see us instead. We have 125 tables full of goodies from many vendors who are usually at the Nationals, too.

This year we are using an Open Judging style (the first time for a Regional in several years) and there is not a pesky no-sweeps rule to bother with.

IPMS2010-flyers.jpg

Our website is still undergoing modernization, but you can get most of the info at:

http://ipmsmetroatlanta.org/

Y'all Come!

Edited by jcorley

As usual, my ability to attend will have to rely on someone canceling their vacation time to open up that weekend for me! :smiley19: Still, hope springs eternal....

GIL :smiley16:

Gil, there's always the option of "going postal" ... but you wouldn't get to attend either as I doubt they'd let you make bail.

See what you get, you moved and lost all that seniority. Bummer, dude.

Hi Jim,

Good luck with your program. I hope it meets and exceeds all expectations. :smiley20:

After the hoopla dies back, bring the winners with you when pick up your goodies packet at the will call pre-registered

desk here in Phoenix. Regionals have always been a good testing venue for the Nationals.

Looking forward to the next Nationals at an east venue.

Much success!

Ed Kucharski

Hi Jim,

Good luck with your program. I hope it meets and exceeds all expectations. :smiley20:

After the hoopla dies back, bring the winners with you when pick up your goodies packet at the will call pre-registered

desk here in Phoenix. Regionals have always been a good testing venue for the Nationals.

Looking forward to the next Nationals at an east venue.

Much success!

Ed Kucharski

Ed,

I would but I don't get time to build muchy with owning a hobby shop and running a resin biz...

james

• 1 month later...

If I have overlooked this in my searches, I apologize. Is the criteria for the Gold, Silver, and Bronze system posted somewhere?

I really hope this works well. Personally, I think it will bring in new blood, and certainly is a better way to judge the "skill level" of an entry. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Ken Friend

Great looking flier you have there too.

I look forward to experiencing the judging system in action and will definitly volunteer to help if needed and a bit of training is availble.

Great looking flier you have there too.

I look forward to experiencing the judging system in action and will definitly volunteer to help if needed and a bit of training is availble.

Yes, we will be having Mike "Pink Hat" Idacavage leading a judges forum.

If I have overlooked this in my searches, I apologize. Is the criteria for the Gold, Silver, and Bronze system posted somewhere?

I really hope this works well. Personally, I think it will bring in new blood, and certainly is a better way to judge the "skill level" of an entry. I look forward to seeing how it works out.

Ken Friend

Ken,

Dunno what happened to the link, but here it is:

http://ipmsmetroatlanta.org/rules.pdf

Its a big file, but the philosophy and criteria are all there

James

All hands,

Sorry for the late notice, but Friday the 25th of June is NOT going to happen. The show will be one-day, Saturday, June 26th due to contract issues with the facility.

We found out a few weeks ago that the lady handling our contract had retired. The new manager had called and was asking about what time we needed to be set up on Friday afternnon. It appears the Cobb County Civic Center has a county function that morning and our contract was never written to include the Friday opening of the show.

We will be contacting all the vendors and refunding the portion of their table costs to reflect a one-day show. Last year our tables were $25 for the day, so there will be a $10/day reduction for those who have already paid.

We do apologize for the ommission on our part and hope it doesn't impact anybody's travel plans too negatively.

Thank you,

James Corley

IPMS Marietta

We found out a few weeks ago that the lady handling our contract had retired. The new manager had called and was asking about what time we needed to be set up on Friday afternnon. It appears the Cobb County Civic Center has a county function that morning and our contract was never written to include the Friday opening of the show.

We will be contacting all the vendors and refunding the portion of their table costs to reflect a one-day show. Last year our tables were $25 for the day, so there will be a $10/day reduction for those who have already paid.

We do apologize for the ommission on our part and hope it doesn't impact anybody's travel plans too negatively.

Thank you,

James Corley

IPMS Marietta

This is an object lesson to all clubs. Read your contracts carefully and if you have an attorney in the club, have him or her take a quick look.

Ahhhh, yes! The dreaded staff change. In the mid 1990's we had a Region 5 convention contract for a two-day event. The entire hotel was sold to a new chain, and the new staff thought they were starting with a clean slate. Our contest chairman was told that they had no record of our event, but he had a signed written contract to wave under their noses that was legally binding. A wedding reception party had been scheduled into our entire vendor room, and we had to take the vendors down at 3 p.m. so they could clean and turn the room. We refused to allow their band to play loud music until after we had completed the awards presentation in our contest room (around 9 p.m.), which was separated from the band by only a folding divider wall. As a compromise, the convention dinner was provided free by the hotel for us allowing the wedding reception to use the vendor room. We put refund money on every plate in the dining room.

For our 2001 National, we endured three convention center contact person changes in the time between signing a contract and the actual convention dates. Many early promises made by departed staff were altered by the successors, who each had to be re-educated about our needs. David's advice is correct: get it all down in writing the first time, and read the fine print with a friendly lawyer.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I might make the Atlanta show...IF my boss approves switching my regular weekend of with a co-worker. I'll find out in a few days.

In the meantime, is there an "official" hotel for the show? I looked on the website and saw a listing of local hotels; but the bmp image page with the map of where those hotels are in relation to the show isn't working. Can anyone make a recommendation? I prefer a hotel WITH a bar, or within walking distance of Hooters! :smiley2: Thanks!

Ahhhh, yes! The dreaded staff change. ...

Many early promises made by departed staff were altered by the successors, who each had to be re-educated about our needs.

Yes, indeed -- or those who refused to be re-educated. And it works both ways.

I remember an instance in which the new events manager simply denied any prior agreement whatsoever and quoted a new, and higher, meeting room fee. In addition, he denied that his predecessor had made the deal we had with the venue. At that point it was discovered that we hadn't actually signed the contract for the year in question.

So we had to find a new place to meet.

I might make the Atlanta show...IF my boss approves switching my regular weekend of with a co-worker. I'll find out in a few days.

WooHoo!!

In the meantime, is there an "official" hotel for the show? I looked on the website and saw a listing of local hotels; but the bmp image page with the map of where those hotels are in relation to the show isn't working. Can anyone make a recommendation? I prefer a hotel WITH a bar, or within walking distance of Hooters! :smiley2: Thanks!

Nope, no 'official' hotel. If you want to stay as cheap as possible, there is the Days Inn at exit 262 which are about $35/night... but avoid the Scottish Inn next door, their rates are hourly.

The map is fixed now, btw.

Also, hit the refresh. I noticed my old file was still loading... the new poster has the correct date.

Gil,

If you make it, will you be coming Friday, or staying over Saturday? A few of us from Chattanooga are coming down Friday and staying the night. I can let you know where I end up making reservations.

Mike

I've got a half dozen "Mountaineers" that are planning to be there...and most are willing to volunteer some time to help out!

I've got a half dozen "Mountaineers" that are planning to be there...and most are willing to volunteer some time to help out!

Guys, the biggest area where we will need volunteers is the Judging. And we need EXPERIENCED judges to volunteer.

Gil, I'm counting on you!

Guys, the biggest area where we will need volunteers is the Judging. And we need EXPERIENCED judges to volunteer.

So, you're saying you don't want ME to judge...oh, well...I was hoping to gain some experience in doing that this time. A few of our guys judged at ScottCon last fall, and I think a couple of them are going to be there.

My buddy Nelson and I plan to come in on Friday afternoon, and hotel suggestions are welcome (besides the $/hour fixture that James refered me to!). I do plan to help out with the judging and I'm looking forward to it!

So, you're saying you don't want ME to judge...oh, well...I was hoping to gain some experience in doing that this time. A few of our guys judged at ScottCon last fall, and I think a couple of them are going to be there.

That's not what I said at all, but we need the guys with experience to step up not slink away. Besides, I think I remember seeing you judge before! Scoundrel!!