Painting polyethylene

Okay folks, here's a question you thought you would never see on a modeling web-site. I only have a couple of hobbies, which include modeling and fishing. I have a large tackle box made by SKB, which is made of polyethylene (roto-molded) and I think I want to attempt to air-brush a yellowfin tuna on the box, (just for fun). My question to you is this....What cleaner/primer if any would be a good way to prep the box to accept paint? Should I use acrylics, enamels, or something else in my airbrush, (which is a basic Aztec). It's just an idea, it's not set in stone, and yes this box would see use on my Long Range trips out of San Diego, so it would be exposed to the elements.

Thanks,

Anthony

A Google search (Google is your friend) for "painting polyethylene plastic" turned up many sites. One suggests using an alkyd oil-based primer followed by a compatible exterior-grade paint. Another suggests Rustoleum spray-can primer for plastic patio furniture and also suggests scuffing the surface first with sandpaper to help adhesion.

A good exterior enamel is probably necessary for the final finish, and you would probably be better off using spray cans instead of the airbrush.

Edited by SkyKing

Hi Anthony

Back in the day when I was painting cars (1 to 1 scale version) we used epoxy primer with a 'flex' agent added to the paint. You can get a quart at any auto body supply house that will last you forever. I would not recommend using it in your airbrush. You can get a less expensive jam gun that will do the trick

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/xq/as.../qx/product.htm

Or stop by a auto paint shop and just have the guys spray it for you. Then paint with any enamel paint for the picture.

The problem with polyethylene is it's semi-flexible, so you need to do it right the first time. Don't waist your time or money on paint that was not meant to work on this plastic.

Edited by sumterIII