Opening the IPMS/USA modeling forums to all

I'm pleased to announce that, effective today, the model building discussion forums of the IPMS/USA are now open to non-IPMS/USA members. No longer closed to the world, we welcome modelers to our forums and hope to share our passion for model building with them. Anyone who provides a valid e-mail address can join and use our modeling forums to share info, ask questions, post photos and learn more about the IPMS/USA.

We hope that opening the modeling forums will encourage non-members to join and give IPMS/USA members a chance to share their knowledge, experience and passion for our hobby with others.

In addition to making the model building forums public, a new "Ask the IPMS" forum has been set up and John Ratzenberger will be hosting it. It is meant to be the public face of the IPMS/USA and will contain useful information for members and non-members alike.

The "From the Forum Administrator" forum will also be opened for comments. IPMS/USA members can now interact with me directly about concerns related to the discussion forums. Feel free to post relevant questions about the discussion forums there also.

Finally, the former Open Discussion forum has been transformed into the new Bull Pen forum. This forum, open only to IPMS/USA members, will be a lightly-moderated forum set aside for members to discuss whatever moves them. It has its own set of rules to follow and no cross-posting or quoting from threads found within this forum will be permitted. What happens in the Bull Pen, stays in the Bull Pen. For those members who'd rather not even see this forum, I can modify their accounts to make that wish possible.

The goal of these changes is to make the IPMS/USA discussion forums more accessible to more modelers. It is hoped that their contributions to this site will transform it into something of greater value to IPMS/USA members and non-members alike.

Now that we have opened the doors, please remember that the modeling forums are for talk about models and model building. Any comments or criticism related to the IPMS/USA must be posted in the IPMS/USA Business section. I've instructed the moderators to be watching for this sort of thing and to move threads like that to an appropriate IPMS/USA Business forum as quickly as possible. The person posting such items in the public threads will be warned and suspended if the practice continues.

By and large, the model building forums have been helpful and friendly places. Now more than ever, we want that to continue to be the case. So, please support our efforts to make the model building forums a place where everyone can talk about model building, be welcomed regardless of skill level and be encouraged to come back often and contribute to the fun.

Dennis

Big changes indeed! Really good work Dennis (and all those who help with the forums) This should go a long way in helping to promote IPMS/USA while allowing us to discuss society business amongst ourselves. Great job, guys!

Kudos to those involved in these constructive and positive changes. I think opening up the modeling section to the public is a great idea. Also reinstating the "open" forum (at least the essence of it) for current members, shows that somebody is listening to the membership. The new "rules" do not seem unreasonable and I hope the membership will not abuse this forum. JSJ

I think we are set for the new folks... if you log out and hit the main forum page, you'll be able to see the Forum FAQ and Ask the IPMS sections as a non-logged in (guest) user.

And anyone should be able to register ...

Eric

BRAVO ZULU!

Glad to see somebody has finally listened to what some of us have been saying for quite some time!

Yep, it'll bring more positives than negatives and I hope the membership will rise to the challenge of maintaining a positive, helpful atmosphere in the public forums...

I think we are set for the new folks... if you log out and hit the main forum page, you'll be able to see the Forum FAQ and Ask the IPMS sections as a non-logged in (guest) user.

And anyone should be able to register ...

Eric

I'm seeing that. What I'm not seeing is any mention that the modeling forums are open to the public now. Given its a known fact they've been for IPMS members only for the past decade I suggest something there to tell non members they can creat a log-in.

Better would be allowing those forums to be "seen" by non registored members so they can get a feel for those forums.

Right now it won't attract anyone and the "word ain't out" as it were

"Well done" to Dennis and Eric. These advances now evident in the forum have been a long time in planning and it appears, thus far, that all of the niggling little technical issues were resolved prior to roll out.

Spreading the word to other IPMS branches is being taken care of but nothing prevents any member from visiting other sites and inviting folks over for a look-see.

I look forward to additional modeling information and resources being posted, not that anything will really improve my modeling, but hope springs eternal.

Don,

Take a look now, I've opened the forums so that guests and validating members can view all model building topics...they just can't contribute to the discussion. I think that'll give them a sample of what they'd be a part of when they register.

So far today...three new, non-IPMS/USA members today!

Don,

Take a look now, I've opened the forums so that guests and validating members can view all model building topics...they just can't contribute to the discussion. I think that'll give them a sample of what they'd be a part of when they register.

So far today...three new, non-IPMS/USA members today!

Ok Dennis, I'm still seeing the same thing when I come in logged out, lets see if this works

http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?

Ok...it's auto logging me on since I'm logged in now but what I see when I log out is 3 of the 4 General Info forums (not the ask admin one we're on now)

I'm not seeing any other forums, and getting the same on 3 computers, and I've cleared the cache on all 3.

You might be seeing it cuz your using a admin enabled machine maybe??

I'm noticing the same thing Don is....if I don't log in I don't see the model building forums...

Yes, I went to a computer that's never been to IPMS forums, so there are no stray artifacts, cookies, etc, and same thing happend -- all I get in the Gen Info section.

all of the niggling little technical issues

Better watch out, Al Sharpton will get all over your case if he see this! :smiley15:

Edited by jcorley

It be fixed now.

Be gentle, I'm a journalism major, not a computer science major.

It may take a couple days to sort all the permissions out - IP Board does a very nice job of hiding things all over the place. There are actually 2 (or mebbe 3) levels of permissions which can all interact in odd ways. Its not the way would have done things...

Eruc

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...