A good dead flat

A little help if you can. Even after all these years, I am still looking for a flat coat that will produce a good dead flat. I've tried a number of different techniques and products and without success. The closest I come is Testor's Flat coat, however, I don't like the fact that because it isn't clear, it tends to shift the color of the underlying paint, especially blues and grays. What do y'all use? Any tips would be most appreciated.

David,

I usually use the Polly Scale flat when I need to. It's about the 'deadest' flat I have been able to find.

While I have not actually tried it, I have heard that if you spray the Testors flat out of the rattle can, and then run it through an airbrush - the results are a little better.

David,

I usually use the Polly Scale flat when I need to. It's about the 'deadest' flat I have been able to find.

While I have not actually tried it, I have heard that if you spray the Testors flat out of the rattle can, and then run it through an airbrush - the results are a little better.

Tim,

Have you had any trouble lately with the Polly Scale "frosting"? I too used to rely on it for a dead flat acrylic flat coat, but since they monkeyed with the formula I've found it to one, not be as flat as it formerly was, and two, it has a nasty tendancy to get frosty.

And to continue a conversation David and I had going elsewhere, has anyone here got much experience mixing Future and Tamiya Flat Base? I've heard good things about it, but haven't seen any reliable mixing ratio's. David posted that he got a satin finish from a 50/50 mix, and someone else was surprised that ratio only got to satin and not dead flat.

Mike "still searching for a good acrylic flat coat" Moore

Mike,

I have not bought a bottle in many years, so it could be the "new" stuff is a little different. I just used some the other day and it went on fine. (In fact, I still have some old PollyS bottles to use up.)

With that said, I do get "frosting" if I apply too much. A few years back I had a HobbyCraft Corsair that I had spent a ton of time on - looked good all around - then I put too much flat on it & it frosted in places. It looks nice in the case, but I was not happy after spending the time on the kit.

Since then I learned that several light 'mist coats' work much better than one heavier coat which tried to cover everything at once.

I'm not sure which Testors flat coat you use. I use the Model Master Acryl Clear Flat. This is the only acrylic paint that I use but it is the flattest that I have found.

I started using Tamiya can flat decanted Dave, been very happy with it. 2 quick coats through the airbrush and no noticible color shifts

Don,

Once you've decanted, do you thin it? With what, and how much?

Don,

Once you've decanted, do you thin it? With what, and how much?

I just shoot it straight after that, no thinning. I've been doing the same with Tamiya gloss in a can past couple models and you've seen the results :D Took me a couple years to get a gloss/flat combo I like but I think I got it :P

Edited by Don Flynn

I've been using the Future/Tamiya combo. I haven't been able to come up with the ratio, just trial and error on an old piece of plastic. Cool thing is that it's acrylic and works great with the hair dryer.

Glenn