P-40 nears the finish line

David M. Knights

Here is the Trumpeter P-40 in 72nd. Built OOB. I plan on doing several, so I wanted to do the first OOB just to see what issues their might be with the kit. Kit is pretty nice OOB. THere are a few things to correct, but the fit is good and she looks like a P-40.

p40.jpg

Hope to have it done in the next two weeks.

That looks really nice David. How much are you planning on weathering it? I'll be very interested in seeing it done.

Mike

That looks really nice David. How much are you planning on weathering it? I'll be very interested in seeing it done.

Mike

Actually Mike, I started that last night. I've applied "sludge wash" (Actually the MIG Productions Dark Wash) into the panel line. After it sits for 24hrs I'll remove most of it with a Q-tip soaked in mineral spirits, wiping in the direction of the airflow. Then I'll airbrush some highly thinned Tamiya Smoke in certain areas and after it is Flat Coated I may use a pastel or two. Like all my models, I am trying something new with this one. I am going to use a combo of a little Future and lots Tamiya Flat Base to try and get a dead flat finish on the model. I had good luck with a 50/50 mix of Future and Tamiya on my last model to get a satin type finish, so I want to see what can be achieved by varying the proportions.

Dave well done on that little Tiger.

I'm surprised that you got a satin finish with a 50/50 mixture of Future to Flat Base. I usually get a dead flat coat using a mix of 48/52 Future/Flat Base mix. Last time I did a 50/50 mix; I frosted a carrier. Fortunately I was able to un-frost it by re-shooting another coat of straight Future.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Well, bonehead mistake or not, it looks real good from here!

As for the mistake, it's visible in both pics, but I'm going with the interior color behind the quarter windows. Shouldn't that area be the camo colors?

Mike

Well, bonehead mistake or not, it looks real good from here!

As for the mistake, it's visible in both pics, but I'm going with the interior color behind the quarter windows. Shouldn't that area be the camo colors?

Mike

Mike,

Thanks. The area behind the side windows is the camo color as it should be. It's a little hard to tell that from my poor photography. The bonehead mistake is actually visible in both photos, but only really obvious in one.

Fun kit BTW. Even despite my stupid error, I had fun with this one and plan to do more.

Wow! Would have loved to see a WIP thread on this build. Especially on paint and finish.

Dave

I do in-progress threads from time to time, but glaciers have melted faster than some of my builds. This one was OOB and when I look back I find I started the kit in......Nov. 2008. :blush::smiley19:

Well, I think it's fantastic. I wonder though, is the boneheaded mistake forgetting to install the quarter windows? In one pic it looks as if it is missing. Tyhe other side; I can't be sure. Still, that is a stunning aircraft. Makes me want to build a P-40.

EDIT: I see it! It's the code on the tail. It is missing on one side.

It looks really good, David...nice work!!

Athough it seems that I remember the fuel tank filler is on the left side of the P-40...and you may have the window-with-fuel-filler-openings on the right side...

Edited by Keith Pruitt

Looks terrific to me...and I'll be doggoned if I can find an error. Nice work! :smiley20:

Later,

Lee

It looks really good, David...nice work!!

Athough it seems that I remember the fuel tank filler is on the left side of the P-40...and you may have the window-with-fuel-filler-openings on the right side...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner! Yes, I installed the side windows on the wrong side, which means that I not only installed them on the wrong side, but put them on inside out. I wish I could claim I was drunk when this occurred, but alas I was very sober. Stupid mistake that would have been caught if I had taken 2 seconds to look at the instructions. Kudos to you Keith for spotting it.

Also Mark is correct, that the serial number is only on one side of the tail. I lost the other decal. Shhhh. But I was really talking about the windows Keith noticed.

That's ok, don't feel bad! My 1/48 Monogram P-40B (which managed to take a regional award) has two different style fonts for the plane numbers. The numbers are ON both sides, but are different styles! No one ever picks up on that (which is what I counted on!) :smiley4: More recently, I finished my 1/48 E-2C Hawkeye; and it looks pretty darn good for an older resin kit! Know why I haven't posted it here? I put the dang outer tail fins on upside down...... :smiley12: Again, no one at the last meeting noticed until I pointed it out, and it wasn't even nickle beer night! Oh well, it's old getting hell......

Gil :smiley16:

Nice looking build Dave. The 40 always looks good in Flying Tigers markings.

It sure looks good David. How was the kit for detail and assembly. Is it time to get rid of our Frog, Hobby Boss and Pavla kits?

Clare,

The assembly was good. Fit was good. I have the Pavla and AML kits, but I'll probably strip those for parts. Not sure what I'll do with the Academy kit. It isn't perfect, but I think the Trumpy (sorry, some folks hate that, Trumpeter) kit is the best basis in 72nd scale to build a P-40B.

The area behind the side windows is the camo color as it should be.

Which shows why there's always such a debate about the colors under these windows (see also: P-47s). The way to think about is, what would be easier to paint in 1:1 scale?

Sweet B model, David. Very nice. We should work up a collection of Flying Tigers' P-40s from the various people we know for the nationals someday!

--Chris