First two for the year

MikeMoore

The last model I did the Future/Tamiya Flat on, I used a 50/50% and got a nice satin finish. Believe you me, I will test the 90/10 ratio on a test subject before I spray it on my P-40

Well, if you're going for a dead flat finish on that P-40, and get there with the future/flat base combo, let me know what you're ratio is. I promise I won't hurt you much if I try it and it frosts my model! :smiley20:

Mike

Well, if you're going for a dead flat finish on that P-40, and get there with the future/flat base combo, let me know what you're ratio is. I promise I won't hurt you much if I try it and it frosts my model! :smiley20:

Mike

You'll be the first to know.

Mike, if you frost the model with your Future/Flat Base combo, then simply re-shoot a coat of Future glosscoat back over the model. It takes the frost away completely. I'm speaking from experience as I frosted an HMS Invincible carrier. I thought it was trash, but I decided to re-shoot a coat of straight Future over it and the model was restored.

Real easy. Don't let a little frost stop you from making more awesome models!

Mike, if you frost the model with your Future/Flat Base combo, then simply re-shoot a coat of Future glosscoat back over the model. It takes the frost away completely. I'm speaking from experience as I frosted an HMS Invincible carrier. I thought it was trash, but I decided to re-shoot a coat of straight Future over it and the model was restored.

Mark,

I'll keep this in mind for my upcoming experiment.

Thanks for the heads up on that Mark! I tend to tiptoe into new stuff like a flat coat since it comes so late in the process! Ideas and tips like that are great.

Mike

Not to hijack this thread, but I experimented with 90%/10% of Flat base and Future. As Mark predicted, you get frosting.

I'm glad I experimented first. So far the best flat coat I've found is Floquil Flat Finish from the Railroad colors. However, even that doesn't give me a dead flat.

• 1 year later...