First two for the year

MikeMoore

Here are my first two completions for the year:

Xtrakit's Canberra PR 9 in it's retirement scheme. Started supposedly in time for last year's Nat's but she fought me most of the way! I doubt it'll win much, but it doesn't look bad from 3 feet.

Canberradone1.jpg

Canberradone2.jpg

Canberradone3.jpg

And second is a "Spliced" RNZAF Corsair. RZNAF"S No. 1 Servicing Unit at Henderson Field took the forward fuselage, wings and rudder from the GSB NZ 5307 and tacked the rear fuselage of the Tricolor NZ 5272 onto it to get another bird in the air. This one is Tamiya's 1/72 kit. Typical Tamyia build leaving lots of time to add Eduard etch, some scratch built detail and some fun with the finish:

Corsairdone4.jpg

Corsairdone1.jpg

Corsairdone2.jpg

That's it for now.

Mike Moore

I see the photos and they all look great. Really like the weathering on the Corsair. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Beautiful pair! I too like the weathering on the Corsair, and the scheme. The base and "scene" really add to the presentation. That barley scheme is attractive on the Canberra too. Thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

Dang, I was hoping for a Canberra SPLICED WITH a F4U......

Damnit Corley...you owe me for a new keyboard now! And Lynn Ritger was right...Diet Coke blown through the nose does kinda burn!

When a pilot came out to fly a Corsair, he probably did a double-take when seeing this one. I can hear the maintenance chief telling him, "One does what one can with what one has." Improvisation was the norm more than we will ever know.

Ed

Damnit Corley...you owe me for a new keyboard now! And Lynn Ritger was right...Diet Coke blown through the nose does kinda burn!

Gotcha!

Haven't you been told not to eat & drink while driving? Same goes for computers!

Why don't you come down Saturday for the club meeting at 2PM and we can duke it out for the new keyboard. Just remember, I never fight fair :smiley16:

Gotcha!

Haven't you been told not to eat & drink while driving? Same goes for computers!

Why don't you come down Saturday for the club meeting at 2PM and we can duke it out for the new keyboard. Just remember, I never fight fair :smiley16:

I keep thinking about getting down there either for one of your meetings or the AMPS meeting (yep, I joined up), but this weekend won't work. Me and the spliced Corsair gotta go to Knoxville. I get a free dinner since I got my Corsair done and neither Tabler or Driskill got their builds done.

And what makes you think I EVER thought you might fight fair? :smiley18:

Just in case your canberra is getting jealous after all the corsair complements.....Great Canberra! I really like the tonal variation across the top, it is not easy to get an impression of size from a monotone paint job, but you did.

P.S. what is the Canberra painted with?

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Paul, both kits are painted with Tamiya mixes. I'm not sure if David Hannant was amused or irritated when he replied to a thread on HS where I told someone looking for the British colors in the US that I'd bought several bottles of Xtracrylics colors to use to match Tamiya mixes to. I'm just very comfortable spraying Tamiya!

Mike

Mike,

I like the "flattness" of the finish on the Corsair. What did you use to get it so flat?

Man, you really know how to hit a sore spot don't you! :smiley19:

I used to use Polly S acrylic flat. It worked great and gave a dead flat finish. Then they went and monkeyed with the formula and it started frosting models.

So I reluctantly switched to Model Master Clear Flat Lacquer. It gives a nice flat finish, but I worry about my oil washes over it.

On the Corsair, the tail section (save the rudder) was flat coated to the Bejeezzuz. On the front, GSB section I TRIED to be a little more artistic, though it doesn't show well in the photos. I tried to spray straight down over the fuselage so that the fuselage sides were a bit glossier than the top, to replicate uneven UV effects on the gloss paint. On the wings, I tried to buff them to giver back just a hint of shine, again to replicate UV degredation on a gloss finish. It didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but I'm happy with it.

As for your suggestion of a Journal article, I'm not sure it'd be worth it as I didn't get any in progress pictures. And it is a really nice kit. I just had to take a break from a Roden 1/32 DH2 I'm working on and the Corsair really blew the tough kit malaise out! Not to mention it was part of a "challenge" build hatched at the Nats last year. There are four of us, and anyone who doesn't have a 1/72 Single Engine Fighter completed for the Knoxville show this weekend has to split the dinner bill!

Mike

Simply outstanding work, Mike! :smiley20: Very sharp and the finish of both kits are really notable. Thanks for sharing!

Later,

Lee

Man, you really know how to hit a sore spot don't you! :smiley19:

I used to use Polly S acrylic flat. It worked great and gave a dead flat finish. Then they went and monkeyed with the formula and it started frosting models.

So I reluctantly switched to Model Master Clear Flat Lacquer. It gives a nice flat finish, but I worry about my oil washes over it.

SNIP

Mike

You do oil washes over your final flat coat? Hmmm, very interesting. I've always done the oil wash over the final gloss over the decals (and I use Future for my Gloss) and before the final flat or satin coat.

You do oil washes over your final flat coat? Hmmm, very interesting. I've always done the oil wash over the final gloss over the decals (and I use Future for my Gloss) and before the final flat or satin coat.

I am with David here. This prevents an interaction between the enamel thinner in the wash and the Future acrylic coat.

The models look super, btw! I am a sucker for Canberras... :smiley20:

I am with David here. This prevents an interaction between the enamel thinner in the wash and the Future acrylic coat.

The models look super, btw! I am a sucker for Canberras... :smiley20:

What can I say guys? I'm a wild man? I'm a rebel? And it's even worse than my doing an oil washes on the flat coat. I rarely apply a gloss coat after the decals. I normally go straight to the flat coat. The only time I do a coat of Future immediately after decals is if they are thick decals and I want to get a build up of Future around the decals to hide the thick carrier film.

Seriously, I've never had any trouble with my oil washes affecting my paint jobs. I even just did a pretty heavy "filter" on a Harrier I am working on to get more of a blue tone than I ended up with after the paint. That went on straight over the Tamiya. I use what seems to be a pretty mild thinner, Napatha, and it seems pretty safe with the acrylics. I also like the effects I get by doing the panel lines with the flat coat. If you do them with a gloss coat, it's real easy to confine the effect to just the recessed line. But if you do it over the flat coat, it's real easy to replicate fluid and dust streaks by drawing any over run back in the direction of the theoretical airflow. If you do that with a gloss coat on, you tend to wipe the streak away. With the flat coat, some of the wash gets caught in the grit of the flat coat. Same with a fluid spill. If you let a drop of oil wash onto a gloss coat, it will bead up; but do it on a flat coat and the grit of the flat coat acts like capillary action in a panel line and draws the drop outward. Several drops overlapped as they dry will leave overlapping fluid rings or halos. You can't see it in the picture of the Corsair, but I did that on the foward fuselage and a bit on the wings to replicate fluid stains.

Besides, as far as protecting the paint, what's the difference between Future, and a modeling acrylic flat coat? They are both acrylic and should react in similar ways to the oil wash. To me, the difference isn't in the level of protection afforded to the paint, but with how the oil wash behaves.

On another note, David, let me know how you like the Future/Tamiya Flat Base combo. I've got some Flat base and have been condsidering trying that, but have heard some horror stories of getting the ratio off (as in too much flat base) and frosting the model.

Mike Moore

The last model I did the Future/Tamiya Flat on, I used a 50/50% and got a nice satin finish. Believe you me, I will test the 90/10 ratio on a test subject before I spray it on my P-40