Ferrari Enzo

Well, I'll start this thread even though I have not taken any pics.

My next project on tap is Tamiya's Enzo. I built this kit with the Model Factory Hiro FXX conversion a couple years ago. I could tell it was nice on its own. This go around I'll build it OOTB (mostly). While there will be those that hate it my color choice it Light Grey (ala Audi). As long as it comes out glass smooth it should be eye catching.

Thanks for checking in. Pics coming soon...

Thought I would post a few pics as promised.

The kit. Tamiya Fantastic !

Picture002-vi.jpg

The Chassis. The model factory hiro conversion I built previously had a one piece chassis plate in whie metal. I though that I would assemble the three chassis sections together in this build as well. It made a nice difference to be able to assemble the rest of car around a one piece foundation. There were no build conflicts from doing this in the FXX conversion, I don't expect any this time either.

Picture011-vi.jpg

The Body: the nose section is assembled (6 pieces)...but so many more pieces. It is preped for paint. I scrubbed the gloss off the plastic with a tooth brush and some Comet cleanser after removing the most minimal of mold lines. I'm excited about Audi Grey.

Picture10-vi.jpg

The engine. A little start. Alclad steel over gloss black. Kit chrome on the exhaust.

Picture-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I've been helping my son with the Revell version of this car. Its so cool looking but all those curves! Cant wait to see this one progress through the paint phase. Got to break with you on the color, I just cant see anything but red when the name Ferrari is mentioned. Thanks for posting.

Chris

Edited by Dreamsof51

• 2 weeks later...

a little progress.

I put some heat stain on the exhaust even though it wont be seen in the end.

Picture013-vi.jpg

Got the Hobby Design upgrade parts in and WOW. This is one of four disk brakes.

each is 22 PE and turned alum bits with separate callipers.

Picture19-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking

That's looking SHARP Jay! Also glad to know that we airplane guys aren't the only nuts in the hooby. 22 parts PER brake, not including the calipers?? I feel better now about rolling Spandau barrels for WWI machine guns! I look forward to seing this stuff up close at our next meeting!

GIL :smiley16:

I know it doesn't seem like much but I have been steady working.

I should have some body color shots by next post. The body panels have their interior blacked out and are fully preped for their exterior color. Sorry no pic.

The rear breaks are fully assembled and since this shot been installed on the rear suspension.

Picture019-vi.jpg

This turned our pretty cool looking. I got the PE radiator fan & shroud installed. Had to cut out the plastic replica first. These are definitly visible in the end.

I love how dimensional they turned out.

Picture020-vi.jpg

Picture021-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...

Have you given any thought to giving some of the parts a go with Carbon Fiber decals? Scale auto has a nice article on working with those kinds of decals in either this current issue or the one before it. That is a neat little version of a coooool car.

Dave

Jay, Great work. I find the brakes and cooling fans very nice. I love those details.

I'm not quite at that caliber yet myself. I will however say I am in process of building the brakes for my 599 GTB. My first go around with the full p.e. brake. Otherwise I've been using p.e. now for a few builds due to the realism.

I look forward to your build as I too have the FXX but am waiting until I can improve a bit more.

Any chance you could sneak a picture of your other FXX here?

Chris

Jay,

I gotta mini that needs a nice coat of paint. Any chance of flying you out to Washington State to do the job? Great beautiful work!!!

• 1 year later...

Over a year since the last post on this project. I did have one OOTB build to get me out of the slump but typically I don't table incomplete projects. Lots of PE details to add. The paint is testors enamel(sq btl) no clear, polished nicely.

Picture025-vi.jpg

Picture026-vi.jpg

Picture034-vi.jpg

Thanks for looking

Jay

Just great. Backing up a little. How do you get your heat stained effect on your exhaust.

Rod

Rod,

I use a 3 stage effect using tamiya translucent Orange, Red and Blue with an airbrush. Starting with Orange, apply a coat over a wide general area and with each color change I narrow the focus area to create a layered effect with a darker blue/purple center. I think it is a fairly effective representation but keeping the edges between color changes soft takes practice.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of my favorite techniques for improving kit coil-over shocks.

Carve away the plastic spring using hobby knife & small files. Leave the center core of the shock.

Picture038-vi.jpg

Wrap the shock with a small diameter solder, trim the ends and adjust the coil spacing. Solder cuts easily with a hobby knife and forms with almost no effort in this gauge (.022 from radio shack).

Picture040-vi.jpg

It looks pretty good and does not disrupt the part dimensions and resulting fit.

These will be fully exposed in the engine bay of the Enzo so this extra effort will easily be seen in the end, unlike most other shock locations.

... and, you get rid of the ejector pin mark in the middle of the molded spring in the process. WIN--win! Nice, quick tutorial. Thanks.

Ed

Edited by ewahl