Tom Daniel's Dragon Wagon

MikeH

Since my 34 Ford project is on hold until I get detail parts, I thought I'd jump on this one. These things are quite refreshing to build. I got the dragon together and painted, and a nice healthy coating of Blue Angels yellow on the main body parts. The tough part's going to be the masking for the red parts on the cage, tub, & frame rails. Engine's together too.

DSC01911.jpg

Edited by MikeH

Wow, that looks terrific, Mike! :smiley20:

Later,

Lee

Not a lot of progress tonight, but noticeable. I remembered I had gold BMF sitting around so I used that to do the scroll work and lion head on the side of the cage. I also got the hinges and lettering done.

DSC01914.jpg

Mike, here's are some questions about your building technique. The photos show you are essentially finish painting major parts while they are still attached to the sprue trees. When you eventually cut the parts off the trees, do you not damage the paint at the point where the attachment was? Do you not further damage the paint when you clean up the stub? How do you then fix the paint without making the patch look obvious? An inquiring mind needs to know.

Ed

Mike, here's are some questions about your building technique. The photos show you are essentially finish painting major parts while they are still attached to the sprue trees. When you eventually cut the parts off the trees, do you not damage the paint at the point where the attachment was? Do you not further damage the paint when you clean up the stub? How do you then fix the paint without making the patch look obvious? An inquiring mind needs to know.

Ed

Hey Ed, this is a "for fun" build for me. I'm not sweating the details etc. Yes there's a touch up spot needed when cut from the sprue, but it's going to be a shelf model and nothing for a contest. It's a kit I've always liked but didn't want to pay the $300+ people were pitching for them when they were out of production etc. Some of the sprue attachments will be hidden in joints, others will be exposed and fixed at the time.

To answer your question whole-heartedly, I've patched paint blemishes before on builds. It's a PITA but it can be done with patience and some fine sanding and blending with the airbrush. One build I did it on was my '67 GTO. I screwed up the top of the front fender and had to sand & paint the blemish as I was building it for a contest. I know it's there and I can barely see it, but it's good enough where the judges missed it. LOL :smiley17: On that note, I didn't place with that build either. LMAO.

I wondered why there is no driver in the seat, and then I see the big smile on Mr. Dragon's face. Dessert, anyone? :smiley4:

This is a neat build of a good oldie. Great job!

Ed

Edited by ewahl

All done. I've got a couple small spots to touch up, but a fun box stock build. My 5 year old daughter asked if she could have it. She even offered to pay me a dollar for it. LMAO

DSC01917.jpg

DSC01918.jpg

DSC01919.jpg

DSC01920.jpg

I love it, definitely stands out from the crowd...you just have to love those "I-built-or-wish-I-had-built this one when I was a kid" projects!! Nice work!

Nice job. I picked this one up along with the Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi. Built the RR and Dragon's Wagen back in my early teens and lost them in a move (AF brat). Been after them for the last 20 years and was very happy to get them rereleased. The kits are almost exactly as original but the dragon in this kit used to only be two parts, left and right side with legs attached. There is also some change in a chicken in the Taxi.

Even though I don't normally do cars, think these will get the detail treatment along with the S'cool Bus in the stash.

Nice job. I picked this one up along with the Rommel's Rod and Tijuana Taxi. Built the RR and Dragon's Wagen back in my early teens and lost them in a move (AF brat). Been after them for the last 20 years and was very happy to get them rereleased. The kits are almost exactly as original but the dragon in this kit used to only be two parts, left and right side with legs attached. There is also some change in a chicken in the Taxi.

Even though I don't normally do cars, think these will get the detail treatment along with the S'cool Bus in the stash.

A diorama idea popped to life for my circus wagon so when I get the stuff together it'll be moving.

A very nice job on this! :smiley20:

later,

Lee