Pollyscale vs. Model master paints

bmill245

Since Pollyscale paints are being discontinued I'm going to have to find another acrylic paint of choice. I was wondering if Model Master paints are similar to Pollyscale (since they're made by the same company)? If they aren't the similar what is another paint that is close to Pollyscale? Thanks.

I favored Gunze but their acrylic is MIA. I used Pollyscale(found them a bit twitchy) but I really liked the quality of the finish after airbrushing.

I'm starting to focus on Tamiya acrylic now....

While I've used Model Master for some reason I never really took to it as I have toward Tamiya. I'd be interested in hearing what you experience with MM over the next few months...

I used to swear by Polly Scale, but got tired of the inconsistency between bottles. I started migrating to Tamiya a few years ago and now use them pretty exclusively. They spray really well thinned with 70% iso and incredibly well with the Tamiya Lacquer thinner (which pretty much eliminates the huge up-side of acrylics!) and the only real down side is having to mix almost every color. A more minor downside to me is that they brush paint abysmally.

As for the MM Acryls, personally, I can't think of a more horrible paint. In my experience they adhere really poorly, making masking a challenge, and are tougher to clean up.

If you're ok with mixing colors, I'd say you can't go wrong with Tamiya.

Mike Moore

Polyscale had always been my paint of choice in the past but started using Tamiya when I got back into the hobby. Of late I've started giving Vallejo Model Air a try. I really like the dropper bottles (great for gravity fed brushes) and the fact that I can airbrush straight from the bottle. Paint sprays well, stays put (surface cleaning and priming are important) and has a great cured finish. Almost no odor and seems to clean up easier than Tamiya. There are some gotchas on thinning, but you can avoid them by using Model Air thinner (never use lacquer thinner or alcohol). Don't know for sure, but Tamiya seems like it's some sort of acrylic hybrid to me. Close enough to be called acrylic, but not really if you know what I mean. Vallejo seems more like a true arcylic, not that it really matters. Might check them both out.

Dave, I could not agree more on your hybrid theory on Tamiya paints. I do like them but they take a buit of getting used to. I still prefer enamels but I really don't like how the current MM line behaves and I cannot stand to shoot gloss or semi-gloss and most of the MM paints I use are either. :smiley24: I loved the old Floquil and Aeromaster lines but they are long gone...I treasure my few remaining bottles.

Later,

Lee

I use a little of everything when it comes to paint. I have found that most of what I use are the MM acrylics mainly because those are the colors I need/use. I used to love the older formula Tamiya paints, but am luke-warm on what you can buy today. I also use PollyScale on occation, along with some of the old Aeromaster paints (I think they were made by PollyScale?). The old MM Acryl line wasn't much good, but the newest formula (what you can buy today) seems to work for me.

I've found over the years I can work with just about anything (although the old PollyS brand gave me fits). I don't go by paint brand as much as I do by color. If I can find a color I need in a brand I don't use that often - I will try it.

To me that is easier than mixing...

Having said all this, I do find that I get better results from enamels - but have more acrylic paint here in the stash = go figure!

Dave, I could not agree more on your hybrid theory on Tamiya paints. I do like them but they take a buit of getting used to. I still prefer enamels but I really don't like how the current MM line behaves and I cannot stand to shoot gloss or semi-gloss and most of the MM paints I use are either. :smiley24: I loved the old Floquil and Aeromaster lines but they are long gone...I treasure my few remaining bottles.

Later,

Lee

Lee, if you like the Aeromaster Warbird Acrylic paint you'll most likely like Vallejo Model Air. I swear it's the same paint in the same bottle with a different label. Don't know the history of these companies as well as others and its been a long time since I used Aeromaster, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort connection back there somewhere.

-dave

Edited by Dave23

Sorry Dave I was referring to the few remaining Aeromaster enamels that I have. I will say that many folks seem to swear by the Vallejo paints and I am curious to try them at some point.

Later,

Lee

If I were to guess, and that's exactly what it is, I'd say they are chemically EXACTLY the same. Now the pigment and formula of pigments may be different, that is, RLM 02 may be different colors or shades of color.

If I were to guess.

Bo Roberts

Well,

This is only a one time use opinion. After the Model Master enamals left my AFV Club Cent sticky, I went and picked up a bottle of Model Master Acrylic. After cleaning the wheels, the paint (Desert Tan) brushed on great. Good coverage and even brush flow.

Mark

I've used Polly Scale and Tamiya and like them both. The main problem with Tamiya is there just isn't enough colors. They need to concentrate on expanding for Armor, Aircraft and Ships. Both paints seem to go on good.

I use both Pollyscale and MM acrylics. I have had good results from both. However, many people claim that MM are the weakest acrylics out there. That may be the case but you do have to treat acrylics like a little kid. They need extra attention and prep. I have no problem with MM and they have a decent selection of colors. Tamiya has a good product but their paint color selection is lacking. Also, Tamiya paint is the worst to handbrush. MM handbrushing is exceptional. Bottom line: try some brands and pick one that works for you.

Andy

I do have to admit that HH Acryl Flat Black hand-brushes wonderfully and I do use it instead of enamel flat black. My wife got it for me by accident and it's been a welcome surprise.

Ditto the opinions about Tamiya needing to expand their colors.

Later,

Lee

I use Model Master Acrylics marine line for a couple of years now and they work great. I know that they are discontinuing this line, so I've been buying up what I can. I like Tamiya for all the other subjects, armor and aircraft. I also use Vallejo, mainly for figures and hand painting small details.

WHAT!!!!

discontinuing mm ACRYLS. man i love those paints. and have pretty much switched over from all my enamels.

i haven't had any issues with them.

I havent tried anything else yet. as i have just gotten back into the bobbie here over the last few years.

more info please

kev,