Lead Foil or sheet

Mark Aldrich

Fellow treadheads,

Where can I find the lead sheet that Legend and Verlinden include in many of their conversion sets. I have tried EBAY and all I come up with is self adhesive backed rolls.

Mark

I have looked for this in the past and only found sources selling rolls that cost more than I would pay but available in a variety of thickness.

lead foil

Is it possible to use the self adhesive product that seems to be readily available and remove the adhesive with laquer thinner?

Although it is becoming less common as digital technology takes over, some dentists still use x-ray film that comes with a cover of lead foil. I asked my dentist a couple of years ago and was given a lifetime supply for free.

Jim

Mark,

In the past, I would buy a bottle of wine, drink it and peal off the lead foil that covered the neck and cork!!! If you choose this option, make sure you don't mistakenly get a bottle of wine that has the cheap plastic foil.

Bottoms up,

Mark

I have heard of the wine bottle option but it is all wrinkly! Is it a overseas thing? If Legends can get it....why can't we?

Mark,

In the past, I would buy a bottle of wine, drink it and peal off the lead foil that covered the neck and cork!!! If you choose this option, make sure you don't mistakenly get a bottle of wine that has the cheap plastic foil.

Bottoms up,

Mark

Mark & Mark,

Wine bottlers haven't used lead (Pb) foil since 1993 because it's so human unfriendly. They're either tin or plastic nowadays. RoHS directives in Europe would prohibit the manufacture or import of bottled wines with Pb foil, or any other products containing lead, for that matter. It tops the list of six substances in the RoHS directives, and similar laws in other countries. There are very few exceptions allowed.

If you have a bottle of wine from before 1993, be sure to remove the foil and clean the bottle neck before opening.

I work in the semiconductor manufacturing industry and have been involved in eliminating Pb from our products since 2001 (it used to be in the solder).

Regards,

Bruce

I found a cheaper alternative to the Verlinden stuff. I'm near an artist's supply store (i.e. not Michael's) and they have do-it-yourself paint tubes for artists to put bulk mixed acrylic and oil paint into after use. The tubes are just like a small toothpaste tube, but open on the end. All I need to do is cut the cap end off, cut the remaining cylinder up the side and roll out for beautiful sheets of thin tin. Each tube costs about $1.50. Not bad. Check out your area for those art supply stores that cater to the pro artist.

03315-1005-2ww-m.jpg

Here's an example I found online.

My stash of lead foil has been stored for some time now. I don't use it up fast and will most likely have enough for years of model building. I seem to recall seeing Voyager PE or Grifon PE had sheets of lead available recently. Could have the company name confused though.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

You can buy a lifetime supply of PEWTER foil that has the same malleable characteristics as lead foil. It is way less toxic.

Found in craft stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. Metal Embossing is the materials intent.

The sheet I purchased at a Michael's is the medium weight pewter. Size 9.25 x 12.

Made by American Art Clay co. # 50063M

Lots of material for Flags, tarps, straps belts and webbing.

Since I got a big sheet of pewter now ...

I stopped buying bad tasting foreign wines for my lead foil fix.