737 Info

carmelin1

Hi all, any Airliner modelers out there. I need some information on the Boeing 737's. Any one know of a good reference book or web site that describes the differencies between the -300,-500 and -700 models. In the photos I have found they don't look any longer as is obvious in the -800. Are they different inside maybe glass cockpit, seating arrangement. Or do they have upgraded engines. Need to know if a -700 can be made from a -500 or -300 model. Any help would be appreciated.

Carl

Hey Carl,

What scale are you talking? I thought between Welsh, Hase, Revell, and Skyline pretty much everything was covered.

Welsh has a new T-43A (737-200) in 72nd.

Don

Hi all, any Airliner modelers out there. I need some information on the Boeing 737's. Any one know of a good reference book or web site that describes the differencies between the -300,-500 and -700 models. In the photos I have found they don't look any longer as is obvious in the -800. Are they different inside maybe glass cockpit, seating arrangement. Or do they have upgraded engines. Need to know if a -700 can be made from a -500 or -300 model. Any help would be appreciated.

Another resource is the Airliner Modelling Digest at Yahoo Groups. Under the files section (you'll have to register to have access), there is a veritible cornucopia of conversion information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=airliner+modeling

The basics of the Boeing 737, and the kits to use in 1/144 scale:

The -200 is a lengthened -100. Use the Airfix kit with fuselage mods as required.

The -400 is a lengthened -300 and the -500 is a shortened -300 (the -500 was intended as a -200 replacement, or so I once read). Use the Daco kits, or the Minicraft kits. Daco's fuselage is shaped better....

The -600, -700, and -900 are all based on the -800 with shorter or longer fuselages. Use the Revell AG kit, modified as appropriate.

In order to build a -700 in 1/144 scale, start with the Revell 737-800 kit and make the following cuts to the fuselage:

Forward of the wing, but aft of the baggage hold door: Remove 18.7mm (0.74")

Aft of the wing, but forward of the baggage hold door: Remove 19.75mm (0.78")

Remove the tail bumper and fill the hole. Add filler as needed.

Now, if you want to make life easy, check out Contrails Models:

http://www.drawdecal.com/contrails.htm

The choice is yours....

In 1/72 scale, Welsh/Proteus did some mixed media kits of the MidGen 737's that were quite nice.

Aurora did a so-so 1/72 kit of the Classic 737.

I don't think anyone has done 1/72 kits of the NextGen 737's yet....

Hasegawa has done several 1/200 737's, ranging from the -200 to the -300 or -400.

I don't do narrowbodies in 1/200, so someone else will have to elaborate.

Ralph

Another resource is the Airliner Modelling Digest at Yahoo Groups. Under the files section (you'll have to register to have access), there is a veritible cornucopia of conversion information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=airliner+modeling

The basics of the Boeing 737, and the kits to use in 1/144 scale:

The -200 is a lengthened -100. Use the Airfix kit with fuselage mods as required.

The -400 is a lengthened -300 and the -500 is a shortened -300 (the -500 was intended as a -200 replacement, or so I once read). Use the Daco kits, or the Minicraft kits. Daco's fuselage is shaped better....

The -600, -700, and -900 are all based on the -800 with shorter or longer fuselages. Use the Revell AG kit, modified as appropriate.

In order to build a -700 in 1/144 scale, start with the Revell 737-800 kit and make the following cuts to the fuselage:

Forward of the wing, but aft of the baggage hold door: Remove 18.7mm (0.74")

Aft of the wing, but forward of the baggage hold door: Remove 19.75mm (0.78")

Remove the tail bumper and fill the hole. Add filler as needed.

Now, if you want to make life easy, check out Contrails Models:

http://www.drawdecal.com/contrails.htm

The choice is yours....

In 1/72 scale, Welsh/Proteus did some mixed media kits of the MidGen 737's that were quite nice.

Aurora did a so-so 1/72 kit of the Classic 737.

I don't think anyone has done 1/72 kits of the NextGen 737's yet....

Hasegawa has done several 1/200 737's, ranging from the -200 to the -300 or -400.

I don't do narrowbodies in 1/200, so someone else will have to elaborate.

Ralph

Daco is the way to go for the -300 400 and 500 series a/c.

Thanks everyone. I am planning to do a few Southwest Airlines Aircraft in the different paint Schemes in 1/144 scale. I ordered the Daco Skyline 737-500 and 2 737 300.s I also want to do a 737-700 but wasn't able to find a kit in 1/144. I have the Revell 737-800 and it looks longer then any pictures I have seen of Southwest Acft. Thanks David that is exactly the info I was looking for. I think the -800 will become a -700. Looks like I will be busy on the internet looking through all those sites. Thanks again everyone. :smiley20:

Carl

Thanks everyone. I am planning to do a few Southwest Airlines Aircraft in the different paint Schemes in 1/144 scale. I ordered the Daco Skyline 737-500 and 2 737 300.s I also want to do a 737-700 but wasn't able to find a kit in 1/144. I have the Revell 737-800 and it looks longer then any pictures I have seen of Southwest Acft. Thanks David that is exactly the info I was looking for. I think the -800 will become a -700. Looks like I will be busy on the internet looking through all those sites. Thanks again everyone. :smiley20:

Carl

Where are you getting the decals? Jet from Poland made some at one time. Apparently they are hard to come by now. I have a few of the sheets. Southwest seems reluctant to license a decal manufacturer to do decals of their birds. It is a shame.

BTW, if you want a real eyecatcher, early in their history, Southwest briefly operated a single 727. It looks odd in the Southwest scheme.

If you need any reference shots of SWA 737s, let me know. My wife is a SWA F/A and I have shot lots of pictures of those birds.

...Welsh has a new T-43A (737-200) in 72nd...

AAAUUUGGGHHH!!!! Gotta have it! Are they gonna do a T-29 version of the Convair?

CHEERS!

Bob

Thanks David, I ordered 2 sets trom Scaleliners one each -300,-500 Classic color scheme and the same Canyon Blue scheme. I also ordered Jet 737-300 AZ state flag scheme. I ordered some Boeing Gray, Canyon Blue and SW Gold from Xtra color. Any referencies or suggestions for the rest of the colors I think there Orange and Red would be appreciated.

Thanks David, I ordered 2 sets trom Scaleliners one each -300,-500 Classic color scheme and the same Canyon Blue scheme. I also ordered Jet 737-300 AZ state flag scheme. I ordered some Boeing Gray, Canyon Blue and SW Gold from Xtra color. Any referencies or suggestions for the rest of the colors I think there Orange and Red would be appreciated.

Can you point me to the Scaleliners website?

I mixed my own SW Gold. I used an Insignia Red.

Can you point me to the Scaleliners website?

I mixed my own SW Gold. I used an Insignia Red.

David go to the Hannents web site http://www.hannants.co.uk/ and do a search 1/144, Boeing 737, Decals, or just 1/144, 737 and they will come up. They show them as low stock so hurry. Hannents is the only place I have been able to find them. They also have the Daco kits abd some Jet decals. It's painfull that the rate is $1.86 to the Pound Sterling.