"Mater's Daddy" is DONE!

MikeH

Holes applied, rust color shot, and liquid mask applied. Next another color of rust and some salt... It may end up with some bullet holes here and there too. LMAO I'm also going to try a new techniqu with decals that should pay off (I hope).

DSC01885.jpg

A bit of progress tonight. The salt mask is off and still picking away at the liquid mask. I laid the decal over the salt mask and dried it well. Then picked it away with the salt to give the rubbled door sign as well. I'm still trying to figure out which engine to use.

DSC01888.jpg

DSC01889.jpg

DSC01890.jpg

I think that is going to be an interesting piece. Put the flathead in it with the vintage tow gear, and you'll be all set.

Dave

That's the plan, but the Lindberg motor has all the detail molded in to it for the exhaust headers etc. I don't want to use it, but could be a good challenge to detail paint.

It's been so many years in Illinois since Sinclair and their dinosaur left the market that I had a nostalgia flashback seeing it on your truck. Heck, even British Petroleum has replaced Standard Oil and their ESSO bee.

Ed

It's been so many years in Illinois since Sinclair and their dinosaur left the market that I had a nostalgia flashback seeing it on your truck. Heck, even British Petroleum has replaced Standard Oil and their ESSO bee.

Ed

Similar flashback here to northern NH...and 25 cent gas, IIRC.

Well, I thought I had parts that I didn't, so this one's in a holding pattern until I get the detail parts. Why do I do these things to myself? :smiley24:

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress. I got the main parts of the engine together and test fitted. I'm waiting on detail parts before I can really get it done.

DSC01961.jpg

Well, ambition finally struck yesterday. I got some beading crimps and some line to make fuel lines off of the firewall. The engine's still in a holding pattern until I can get it wired, and the boom & axles have been installed/mocked up. I also went over it with makeup applicators and some roof brown for more rust colors and depth.

DSC01967.jpg

DSC01968.jpg

Interior and engine bay are done. I have no mechanical intelligence at all, so if something's glaring wrong... :rolleyes: At any rate, I had to use the beehive oil filter to add more life to the otherwise scarce engine bay (also for some cool factor). Stretchy beading wire painted clear orange represents the fuel lines.

DSC01969.jpg

DSC01970.jpg

I like what you've done with a great old kit here Mike. You can't go wrong with a '34 Ford pickup. Love the wheels. I need to order a set of them, I've had a '34 Texaco Tanker on hold for years because I couldn't find the correct wheels. This may be the inspiration needed to actually get it on the bench. Keep up the fantastic build. I look forward to following your progress.

Time allowed me to get the bed painted, wheels done, and the radiator and hoses installed. I'm also half way done getting the wheel hubs done. Thanks to Charlie at PRO TECH for the hex heads and bolts and radiator hose products.

DSC01971.jpg

DSC01972.jpg

It is coming along nicely. Those Pro-tech parts are nice but I always cringe at the price and I'm one who is not shy about throwing $200 at a hi-tech kit. A few less of those and you could fit that Model Factory Hiro DBR easily in the budget.

Keep it comin'

It is coming along nicely. Those Pro-tech parts are nice but I always cringe at the price and I'm one who is not shy about throwing $200 at a hi-tech kit. A few less of those and you could fit that Model Factory Hiro DBR easily in the budget.

Keep it comin'

Thanks Jay. Pro Tech parts aren't high priced IMHO. No more than Detail Master or any other aftermarket company. I paid $30 with shipping for radiator hose, plug boots, hex nuts/bolts and more. A 2 year supply essentially, so it's not bad. And I needed hex bolt heads for the resin wheels as they're molded to have holes. There's a Revell Germany Phoenix Man kit that I want and know of someone that has it. $70 plus shipping is really hard for this kid to swallow for one kit much less $200. Then again, I paid $150 for two Forge World kits from Europe. I guess my priorities are skewed some days. LMAO. :smiley17: Maybe when I don't have a daycare bill this fall, I will be able to afford $200 for MFH kit. LOL

Edited by MikeH

Well, I've got some things to throw in the empty bed yet, but "Mater's Daddy" is getting called done. A fun build and really enjoyable. The AA wheels and tires are from Alan Raab/Ma's Resin. I robbed the flathead out of the Revell 32 Ford kit, spliced the transmission from the Lindberg kit on to it for the running gear. Other than that, it's all the Lindberg 34 Ford kit. Parts box lenses on the spotlights and I used the Acme license plate maker to create the plate. I glued it to a piece of aluminum foil and bent it. Other little "added character" things I did were leave out one headlamp with the wires hanging out and a bullet hole in the window. Thanks for following the build -

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02039.jpg

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02046.jpg

DSC02044.jpg

DSC02045.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

Edited by MikeH

Outstanding... oh wait, the last guy said outstanding so I shouldn't but it is... i'm confused.

I hope the next one comes out a bit shinier. wink wink

Thanks for the compliments guys. And on that note Jay, guess what showed up in the mail today... :smiley4::smiley4::smiley4: