Posting Replies and quotes is broke.

Lately, I've notice that when I click to reply, there is no cursor in the text box where the reply is supposed to be typed. I cannot go back to a mispelled word to fix it because there is no cursor, and when I quote someone, I cannot start my reply to their quote underneath. It only shows up above the quote.

I also tend to make a piost on another forum and copy and paste here (particularly in my Works in Progress and completed models threads.) I would usually do small edits to make it applicable to here, but now I cannot do that. I would love to go back to having the ability to type and edit my posts again. Please fix this. Thank you.

What operating system, browser are you using? Version numbers for each, too..

Eric

Lately, I've notice that when I click to reply, there is no cursor in the text box where the reply is supposed to be typed. I cannot go back to a mispelled word to fix it because there is no cursor, and when I quote someone, I cannot start my reply to their quote underneath. It only shows up above the quote.

I also tend to make a piost on another forum and copy and paste here (particularly in my Works in Progress and completed models threads.) I would usually do small edits to make it applicable to here, but now I cannot do that. I would love to go back to having the ability to type and edit my posts again. Please fix this. Thank you.

Dave, it only happens when I do a full reply or quote another post. Quick replies seem to work fine.

Eric, I'm using Windows 7 fully updated, and Mozilla Firefox 3.2-something-something. Latest reiteration of that browser. This has only been happening the last week or so.

Hope this helps.

Ah, drat... I don't have a Win7 system yet...

Can you try in IE and see what happens?

Eric

Dave, it only happens when I do a full reply or quote another post. Quick replies seem to work fine.

Eric, I'm using Windows 7 fully updated, and Mozilla Firefox 3.2-something-something. Latest reiteration of that browser. This has only been happening the last week or so.

Hope this helps.

Ah, drat... I don't have a Win7 system yet...

Can you try in IE and see what happens?

Eric

This reply was made in IE -->

Okay, it seems to be working in IE. I was able to quote you above, I got a cursor this time, amnd I was able to type below your quote instead of above it. I was aso able to go back to a misspelled word and correct it without backspacing all the way to it.

I guess it's a Mozilla issue.

Thanks Eric.

• 3 weeks later...

A little late here, but I just seem to have developed the same issues Mark was having. It's only been the past couple of days. I'm running Windows Vista and Firefox 3.6 (sorry, I don't do IE anymore...) It seems to have sprung up when FF updated me to Ver 3.6.2 (and now with 3.6.3 it is still giving me the same problems) I don't have this problem on any other forums I frequent.

Hmmm... in FF 3.6.2, I don't see a cursor show up in the reply box, but I can enter text with no problem. I can highlight existing text in the quote as well.

I don't have a Vista system, just XP and Win7.

Can you not enter any text or is it the missing cursor issue..

Eric

A little late here, but I just seem to have developed the same issues Mark was having. It's only been the past couple of days. I'm running Windows Vista and Firefox 3.6 (sorry, I don't do IE anymore...) It seems to have sprung up when FF updated me to Ver 3.6.2 (and now with 3.6.3 it is still giving me the same problems) I don't have this problem on any other forums I frequent.

I have the missing cursor in FF 3.6.3 and Win 7, but I can enter text... since that's how I am doing this post...

Very odd....

E

Hmmm... in FF 3.6.2, I don't see a cursor show up in the reply box, but I can enter text with no problem. I can highlight existing text in the quote as well.

I don't have a Vista system, just XP and Win7.

Can you not enter any text or is it the missing cursor issue..

Eric

Yes, Eric, I don't see a cursor, but can type text in the reply box. I can highlight text I've already typed, but cannot copy and paste into the box. I can't use the mouse to move to text I've already typed in order to make edits - if I want to change something I've typed, I need to backspace (deleting) all the text back to the point I want to change, then retype the text. As I noted above, I don't have this problem on any other board I use, and it only started happening here when I upgraded FF to V3.6.2

Hmm... looks like the FF upgrades are not compatible with some code within the Forum software. I hate to say it but there probably is not much I can do for the moment. There is an upgrade to IPBoard, but it is a big one (a complete new version) and I hoped to avoid it for a while... There are a number of things I need to handle first...

Eric

Yes, Eric, I don't see a cursor, but can type text in the reply box. I can highlight text I've already typed, but cannot copy and paste into the box. I can't use the mouse to move to text I've already typed in order to make edits - if I want to change something I've typed, I need to backspace (deleting) all the text back to the point I want to change, then retype the text. As I noted above, I don't have this problem on any other board I use, and it only started happening here when I upgraded FF to V3.6.2

Mark, I have noticed the same problem this morning. I solved it by typing my post which is above the quote. Once I add my reply, I go back and edit the reply using the Edit button. I can then move it around easily.

Thanks Clare and John. John, you described my issue perfectly. I'm still experiencing it myself. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Clare, I may just have to try your idea of editing afterward. Thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like this is the same issue brought up by WTF in a sister thread. FWIW this is what I can add to the mix:

- ........I have a daily situation where I have internet access throughout the day at several different PC's. On two separate PCs I installed Firefox Mozilla because it solved numerous issues where I could not open, see, or download from certain websites. The Mozilla was the fix for that. Buuuutttt....on one PC, I get the cursor and can edit my posting at the moment of origin. On the other PC, I get no cursor and I cannot edit the original and must post the message and go back to use the edit feature as Clare pointed out.

- FWIW the two Mozilla downloads occured about three months apart and I seem to recall they were different version downloads. HTH.

IIRC, I think the latest FF update actually has the issues with replies and the previous version didn't.. I think something changed in their Javascript interpreter which may have broken the quick replies...

Things may stay broke until I can do the 2 -> 3 update of IP Board...

E

Guess what - I found a possible patch on the IP Board support area.. I have installed it.. you may need to clear your browser cache for it to work.

Let me know if it does.

Eric