Planet of the Apes ICARUS Spacecraft question.....

Hello, I am not usually a SCI FI builder but this looked like a cool kit. The ICARUS from Planet of the Apes. I see this kit advertised as 1/48 and measures in at 12" long. Then as I am gathering info a friend loans me Cultman's TV Ultimate Modeling Guide. In it there is a build article and it mentions the kit is 12" long and scales out good for 1/35. I think both are made by Monsters in Motion........anyone know how this kit should scale out correctly?

I suggest using the diameter of the escape hatch found on the upper spine of the nose just forward of the windows. Compare the measurement to the still shots of the crewman exiting the hatch in either the first or second films (it was the same same plywood prop). Using average shoulder width or average head size should give you a close approximation of the diameter of the escape hatch hole. Simple math then provides the scale of the kit.

FWIW, I have seen this model built and have a picture of it somewhere. However, I liked the smaller resin Skyhook Models version of the Icarus for better accuracy.

At the beginning of Planet of the Apes, the camera did a flyaround of the Icarus in the water. Here is the flyaround of my Skyhook Models kit.

Icarus1.jpg

Icarus2.jpg

Icarus3.jpg

Icarus5.jpg

Icarus6.jpg

Ed

Edited by ewahl