AFV Club Plastic

Mark Aldrich

Fellow Treadheads,

Is it me or does the plastic in AFV Club kits not react well to Glues? I use Zap-A-Gap and Testors Liquid glue pretty exclusively and sometimes they hold and sometimes they don't. The plastic seems to be REALLY soft and I'm thinking that might be it. Any thoughts?

Mark

I had precisely the same problem with the AFV Club M18 Hellcat. I use proweld most of the time and when that didn;t react well, I switched to Tamiya thin cement which was still too hot and Testors liquid was no better.

Have you tried Tamiya's orange cap cement?

I've got an AFV halftrack and was planning to use the orange cap stuff. Anybody try this cement with AFV plastic?

I had precisely the same problem with the AFV Club M18 Hellcat. I use proweld most of the time and when that didn;t react well, I switched to Tamiya thin cement which was still too hot and Testors liquid was no better.

Well,

I fired the paint last night and that made the tire rubber sticky as all get out. Tring to figure a way to fix that now. I definately have a bad taste in my mounth for AFV Club kits. That's really sad as they are the only ones that make a decent (looking) IDF Centurion.

Mark

Mark,

I know the problem you are describing is one I've seen before. The AFV Club and Tristar plastic is "soft". I use the Tamiya green cap thin glue and apply it carefully. It will "melt" the plastic if you use too much. If I see the plastic "melting", I blow on the area to quickly evaporate the glue...seems to work. About the rubber tires, the "rubber" does not react well with anything except acrylic paints such as Tamiya. If you want to save the kit tires, try over-spraying with Tamiya clear to form a barrier. If this doesn't work...call Rich and order a set of Hassar resin replacements :smiley24: . Are you coming down to Vancouver next Saturday? R&J will be there and you could get replacements direct from him.

Mark

Have you tried Tamiya's orange cap cement?

I've got an AFV halftrack and was planning to use the orange cap stuff. Anybody try this cement with AFV plastic?

I don;t believe I have ever seen Tamiya cement with an orange cap. I'll have to see if I can find it.

As far as the AFV kits, I tried ProWeld, Mr. Cement, Mr. Cement Deluxe, Tamiya Extra Thin, and Testors liquid (the stuff form the bottle) - all yielded similar results. And as someone pointed out below, Tristar kit plastic seems to react the same way. I would have to imagine that since they are lower volume companies, they probably use a cheaper plastic.

Well, thank goodness. The track is not composed of the same rubber as the roadwheels. It at least takes enamal paints. That saves me from using Fruil track. I guess I'm making a trip to my semi local hobby shop and picking up some acrylic paint, clear flat and clear gloss. WooHoo!!!!!!!!!! Nails on a chalk board voice here I come.

Well,

The Model Master Acrylics worked great. I have fixed the tires and hopefully this weekend can spray the Future and get it washed and decalled.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...