Newbie's recent builds

adfogel

A few of you asked me to post some of my work up so here goes...these are all in the past 7-8 months. First up is the CA He 51 (1996 release)and my first complete rigging job. And teh poor thing took a nasty spill as I was finishing the dull coat...hence the slightly bent wires on the starboard side. :smiley18: OOB and boy I can see why you don't see many of these completed...not a quick or easy build.

IMG_6874Medium.jpg

IMG_6873Medium.jpg

Next up is the 1/48 Monogram B-25H. This was built as a forthcoming review/build for Modeling Madness. It came to me in a Zip-loc partly started with no decals. The main gear were busted up badly and lots of glue gobs and such. The decals are from the Zotz sheet. I still need to do the exhaust stains.

Later,

Lee

IMG_6678Medium.jpg

IMG_6680Medium.jpg

IMG_6738Medium.jpg

IMG_6727Medium.jpg

IMG_6728Medium.jpg

IMG_6729Medium.jpg

Okay, next up is the Eduard Bf 109E-3. This was also a Modeling Madness review kit. OOB and was some work to get the cowling closed up properly. The engine was such a bummer that I just bypassed it. It's a beautiful kit for sure though. The standing figures are modified Tamiya pieces and the pilot is from the Matchbox '109E-3 kit and has been modified as well.

Lee

IMG_6621Medium.jpg

IMG_6603Medium.jpg

IMG_6619Medium.jpg

IMG_6618Medium.jpg

The old 1/48 Monogram Me 109E...yes, that kit. I always wanted to "dress it up" at some point. So, i dropped the flaps, slats, horizontal stabs, added a Hasegawa cockpit, main wheels, drop tank and mount. Also used the Hasegawa canopy with some moderate mods. And yes the landing gear still work! :smiley17: Markings came from an old Almark sheet.

Lee

IMG_6740Medium.jpg

IMG_6743Medium.jpg

IMG_6742Medium.jpg

IMG_6746Medium.jpg

IMG_6747Medium.jpg

Next up is the 1/48 Tamiya Fw 190A-3. This one has a resin seat and Aeromaster decals and spares box stencils from Eduard and Propagteam. Quick, easy and a blast!

Lee

IMG_6895Medium.jpg

IMG_6882Medium.jpg

IMG_6878Medium.jpg

IMG_6877Medium.jpg

This is the 1/72 Aeroplast UH-1N that I used the -H model parts to backdate. I used an old set of Microscale decals but it's OOB otherwise. Our preacher was a crew chief and this was build for him. Spotty fit and iffy instructions but came out alright. He liked it and that's what mattered. :smiley16:

Lee

IMG_6043Medium.jpg

IMG_6046Medium.jpg

IMG_6042Medium.jpg

IMG_6045Medium.jpg

And to end the slide show we have the 1/48 AMT Ju88A-4. Yes, that old kit. :smiley29: The tail wheel and mount was soooooo bad that I could not live with it. So, I scratchbuilt the mount/gear and added spare DML main and tail wheels. Decals are from the DML A-4 kit. You may shake your head and ask "Why?" but I just enjoy building and the challenge of making older kits look presentable is a real pleasure for me.

Lee

IMG_6696Medium.jpg

IMG_6697Medium.jpg

IMG_6698Medium.jpg

IMG_6692Medium.jpg

IMG_6691Medium.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, Glenn! I agree that a bit of TLC and forthought about how tyou wihs to improve an older kit can really make a difference. Plus the challenge is inspiring (at least it is for me). :smiley14:

Later,

Lee

HE'S MAAAAAADDDDD! :smiley29: Not only are the kits old, but even the decal makers have been out of business for more than 30yrs!! I LOVE IT! Nice to now I'm not the only nostalgic masochist here. I've got most of those kits, and I too plan to build them as opposed to buying the latest greatest version of them. Great builds Lee! Post more when ya get time.

GIL :smiley16:

Gil and Mike thanks for the compliments! Gil, I dig the older stuff quite a bit. I'll post up a few more in a new thread. :smiley2:

Later,

Lee