Spitfire mkIX

PaulD

Just finished my first Airfix kit since joining the forum. The 1/72nd Spitfire mk IX. I had some problems with decal silvering, they seemed to be imune to "Micro-set". The provided pilot seemed too small so I stole one from a hurricane kit. Over-all an easy and fun kit. It's nice not paying for a lot of interior detail that you can't see after you're done. I love it that they included parts for building a wheels-up version. I wish all manufacturers would do that.

Spitfire_IX.jpg

Spitfire_IX_.jpg

Spitfire_IX__.jpg

Paul,

What color blue did you use? I really like the look.

Mark

Hi Mark, I used Humbrol 157 80-90% and Humbrol 166 10-20% sorry I don't remember the exact proportions. The model looks a little darker and bluer to my eye than the picture I see on my screen.

Airfix kits really bring back the good ole days for me. I too have found the decals don't react at all to solvents but do tend to lay down in spite of their thickness. As long as you gloss up the undercoat, they work very well. The last airfix I built was their B-26. You've produced a very nice model of a timeless subject. Whats not to like?

Chris

The new Airfix decals are awful.

Depends. Recent Airfix decals have been very varied, but the newset have had much better ones, thogh not on the Cartograph level yet. It IS something they are addressing, apparently - they've had a lot of complaints from the likes of you and I.

But as has been said elsewhere, these new 1/72 kits are chiefly aimed at the younger and less-experienced market, and I suspect they feel they don't need 'enthusiast-grade' decals in them, but will in the likes of the new 1/48 kits...

Nice work - Thanks for sharing! I didn't think one could get this good of a result out of an Airfix kit... (I am kidding!) :smiley2: