Hobbyboss FM-2 Wildcat WIP

DavidF

Started building a 1:48 Hobbyboss FM-2 for a group build a while back. Still working on it and I thought I might post some WIP photos here. This is my second Hobbyboss kit, first was an F4F early model, and I have to say that while the extra detail they provide is nice the fit is not so good. A lot of the sprue attachment points are right on mating surfaces which makes it tuff on someone like me with limited experience to get things cleaned up properly for a nice neat join. At any rate, here are a few pics of my progress -

Started off with a nice cockpit - until I somehow managed to break off the control stick - :smiley24:

IMG_0558.jpg

Managed to build a new one out of metal tubing that while not to scale, but looks ok -

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

Cockpit and engine mounts assembled into the lower fuselage –

IMG_0601.jpg

Fuselage buttoned up ok, but the wings were a challenge. Wing roots are pretty ugly - :smiley18:

IMG_0614.jpg

Cleaned them up best I could. Learning a lot on this build, let me tell you -

IMG_0651.jpg

Now its off to the paint booth for prime and paint! :smiley20:

Just realized I posted this to the wrong forum. Can a moderator please move it down to Aircraft?

Thanks!

Nice work, Dave! I have this kit in storage and will be paying close attention to your build for sure. Bummer on the wing root fit but it looks like you got it under control! :smiley14:

later,

Lee

Can't be much worse than the Sword FM2 that I built! I also built the Hobbyboss early F4F-3 and liked it, though not as much as the Tamiya Wildcat. Do you know what markings you're putting on the FM2? Looks like you whipped those wingroot seams!

GIL :smiley16:

Can't be much worse than the Sword FM2 that I built! I also built the Hobbyboss early F4F-3 and liked it, though not as much as the Tamiya Wildcat. Do you know what markings you're putting on the FM2? Looks like you whipped those wingroot seams!

Thanks guys!

Gil - I'm finishing it in a North Atlantic scheme. I'll use the kit decals which have the markings for VC-36 USS Core (CVE-13).

Yeah it does look good, good alternative to the normal blue. Used Vallejo Model Air paint on this one and it seems to take a bit longer than Tamyia to fully cure. Going to set it aside for a few days before going on so everything can dry fully.

While I'm waiting I opened the kit that had intended to be my first back into the hobby and started on the cockpit this evening. Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat kit # 8221. This looks to be a fun build, so I may start another WIP thread on it.

Looks Great, Dave! Really like your decal stand too...I'm gonna have to come up with something like that for myself. :smiley2:

Later,

Lee

Bent clothes hanger, best thing since sliced bread :smiley20:

Looks like Murphy followed me home again!

IMG_0746.jpg

Yep, snapped the tail wheel off. Repair underway :smiley24:

Well, I suggest a fingerprint or two, if you want it to look like one of mine!

This PSA has been brought to you by Gil "sticky fingers" Hodges. :smiley4: :lol:

Later,

Lee

Fingerprints, glue smudges, paint fuzz - all present and accounted for :smiley14:

Little more progress today -

IMG_0750.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Calling her done!

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

Will probably add a bit more weathering, but its time to move on to my next project.

Very, very nice, Dave! :smiley20: A beautiful job on the paint.

Later,

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work on the Wildcat but I could not help but notice the fixture you had the model setting on. Can you tell us what it is and where you got it? Wanna sell yours? :rolleyes:

Happy modeling

Dave

Thanks for the reply and reference. I have two on order from Hobbylinc.com.

Happy Modeling