Couple new toys!

DavidF

Added a couple neat toys to my model desk this week.

IMG_0656.jpg

Top is a Grex Genesis.XA single action

Bottom is a Grex Genesis.XN double action

The XA has taken a bit to get used to, but it actually feels more comfortable than it looks.

Having to practice with the XN as well. Have always had trouble with double action brushes, which is why I bought the spray trigger operated Tritium.TG . I think now after using the Tritium for a while I can adapt to the standard double action a bit easier.

Both spray like a dream and are easy to clean up.

Well built and beautiful, Grex is my new most favorite airbrush!

Congrats! They look great! I'm using an Iwata I got for free from a friend. It still works awesome and so I'm using that exclusively since I cannot afford anything else.

Now [piost some pics of some models sprayed with those!!

Congrats! They look great! I'm using an Iwata I got for free from a friend. It still works awesome and so I'm using that exclusively since I cannot afford anything else.

Now [piost some pics of some models sprayed with those!!

Working on it. Just moved a Hobbyboss FM-2 into the spray booth for a North Atlantic paint scheme.

• 1 month later...

So, after a month's worth of use are you still pleased with the Grex units? I've never used a gravity-fed a/b for modeling and it seems like it might take a bit of getting used to.

Later,

Lee

Very pleased! The Grex Genesis.XN fits my hand like it was custom made for it. It is now my go-to brush for multi-color and more complex applications. The Genesis.XA has taken bit bit more practice but its the only brush I use now for primer and large single color applications. Both brushes are extremely smooth operating and easy to clean.

Gravity fed is the only way to go. Less paint, easier clean up and lower pressures.

I purchased a Grex at the VB convention and use it for detail work. The bigger areas I still airbrush with a Paasche. The Grex has a pistol grip handle and that makes it very comfortable and that results in improved control. Its a dbl action and has an adjusting screw that acts as a limiter on the air flow. It doesn't get any easier than that!

Is that the Tritium.TG Dick? I have one of those as well with a 0.2mm nozzle. I finally learned how to handle a double-action using that brush and your right - it doesn't get any easier. I still use it, but just like the feel of the Genesis.XN better. I tried a number of Iwata and Badger double-action brushes but never 'got it' until I tried the Tritium.TG :smiley20:

dave

Edited by Dave23

Thank you for the opinions and information, Dave and Dick! :smiley14: Sounds like they really have a nice product. A few folks on HS were talking about them this past fall/winter and seemed to like them as well. Might have to add one to my birthday wish list. I've used both Badger and Paasche with good results (especially my Badger 200 and 150) but this looks like it might be a nice option.

BTW can either of you explain how you wind up using less paint with a gravity-fed a/b? Maybe I am a dunce but I don't get it. :smiley24:

Later,

Lee

Lee, my experience is that suction fed brushes require higher air pressures and greater paint volume to achieve paint flow (have to have paint in the jar + siphon tube + airbrush at all times), plus I always tended to fill the jar with more paint than I needed. With gravity fed brushes you only drop in a few drops of paint and since there's no need for suction you can use lower air pressures. When painting large surfaces you still use probably close to the same amount of paint in the end, but on small details or multi-color applications you only use the amount needed, no extra required just to get the paint flowing. I find gravity fed brushes are also easier to clean since you don't have to mess with jars or siphon tubes. Which also means I can change colors faster.

Thats also one reason I like Vallejo Model Air paint so much. When I don't need to mix a color I can load the brush with the dropper bottle. No muss, no fuss.

I'm not the best at explaining things, so I hope that made sense :P

I appreciate your observations on this, Dave. It makes perfect sense to me...now I'll just have to add one to my wish list. :smiley16:

Later,

Lee