SAC Snark

George

Hello to you all.

Recently started an old Lindberg Snark and was wondering if anyone can help on SAC color schemes for the late 50's - early 60's when the missile was operational. Sort of a light gray overall but would like to have an exact color call if possible. Want to do one ready for launch at the Presque Isle site. Have searched the forums and couldn't find anything already posted.

Thanks

I believe they were ADC Gray (ADC=Air Defense Command) It is in the Model Master Enamel range.

Thanks David, I was looking all over the place for SAC colors, not ADC.

A few years ago, maybe as much as 10, "Airpower" or "Wings" (they were sister publications) ran an excellent article on the Snark, including colour photos of the operational grey scheme. One even had shark mouth(s) on the fuselage or the fuel tanks. I will try to find mine and send you the exact citation. Nick Filippone

"Airpower" Vol. 34 #5; May, 2004 has a lot of good photos of the Snark in both the familiar overall red and in overall grey. Nick Filippone

Thanks for the reference Nick. I'm just starting this project and all I have so far are Google pics so this will be a big help.

George

A quick google of the term "SM-62A Snark SAC" will reveal several images, including two of the vehicle in SAC colors.

b622afm.jpg

Snark_9.jpg

None of the images online clearly show a SAC band, but you can tell it's there in the smaller photos. I think the old SAC propagand book (circa 1965) by Martin Caiden may have a better photo of one with the SAC band.

HTH,

James

Edited by jcorley

Here are some photos of the Snarks as they were dismantled at Presque Isle AFB. These are from a CD from the Assoc. of Air Force Missilires (www.afmissileers.org). The warhead sections look like they have SAC band, but I cant see any badges. In a previous post that I made on finescale modelers forum, others that grew on on the base state that the sash and badge were on operational birds.

Thanks guys for the help. That was a good link dave and had a few really helpful pics. From what all I've found so far it seems the operational snarks were averall ADC gray (Aircraft gray) with a real skinny SAC band and badge. I think only the test birds were that overall red with white stripes you see so many pics of. I like to get as many reference sources as I can before starting a project and this all helps. I'll post a few pictures maybe during the build and for sure after it's all done.

Here are some photos of the Snarks as they were dismantled at Presque Isle AFB. These are from a CD from the Assoc. of Air Force Missilires (www.afmissileers.org). The warhead sections look like they have SAC band, but I cant see any badges. In a previous post that I made on finescale modelers forum, others that grew on on the base state that the sash and badge were on operational birds.